Pearly jawfish not eating

Sean Duggan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
272
Reaction score
178
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’ve had a pearly jawfish in my tank for about 6 months now. He’s done great so far. Made his own burrow and would swim out at feeding and grab food and dart back in. Last week he moved out of his old burrow and started to make new ones. So far he’s made two and seems to be living comfortably in one. Only problem is now I don’t see him coming out to eat like he used to. Is he just getting used to his new burrow and side of tank? I’ve soaked the food in garlic and have squirted some directly into his burrow with a baster. Haven’t really seen him eat this past week. Should I just wait and see since he was eating so well before? It is possible he has eaten I just haven’t seen him since his new burrow is in the back of the tank.
 
Mine do this too. In my experience, they eat when they are hungry - I have two. I love this fish!!
 
I have had a few jawfish and they tend to disappear for a little while sometimes. I had one scratch his eye really bad while building a new home and rarely came out for a while. I searched a few forums and found it was pretty common. If you are nervous he might have died, you could always test your nitrites or nitrates and see if they are high. You could also check around or under your tank, they are known jumpers. Best of luck to you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new