Pellets vs. Powder for LPS

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know what everyones opinions/experiences/preferences are on feeding LPS/NPS pellets or power coral foods like Reef Roids, Reef Frenzy, etc..?

My tank is dominated with Dendros and LPS corals and have seen good growth feeding primarily frozen and pellets.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blastomussa, Goniopora, Acan Echinata, and Favias all prefer being dusted with reefroids and other "powder" coral foods (I put "powder" in quotes because reefroids and this other food I use are really just dehydrated plankton and while it looks like powder I wouldn't consider it a manufactured powder). Pellets will oftentimes attract fish and other critters and they will steal the food from the corals before they have a chance to eat it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blastomussa, Goniopora, Acan Echinata, and Favias all prefer being dusted with reefroids and other "powder" coral foods (I put "powder" in quotes because reefroids and this other food I use are really just dehydrated plankton and while it looks like powder I wouldn't consider it a manufactured powder). Pellets will oftentimes attract fish and other critters and they will steal the food from the corals before they have a chance to eat it.
Agreed that the corals mentioned here benefit from fine foods, but corals with larger mouths grow much faster with pellets. Dendros in particular benefit from being target fed pellets, as do scolys and acanthophyllias.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back