Pentair UV 40w vs 80w

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at installing one of the Pentair UV Sterilizer in my tank. I have ~150 gallon DT and 30 gallon sump. Probably about 165 gallons total water volume. I'm looking at Pentair units from BRS. The 40w says it's rated for 260 gallons and the 80w says 600 gallons. Is there a benefit for going way oversize? My initial use will be for Dino/Algae control, but one day I may want to adjust flow for pest. Just trying to determine if it's worth paying the extra $400 for the bigger unit or if 40w is plenty for 165 gallons of water.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at installing one of the Pentair UV Sterilizer in my tank. I have ~150 gallon DT and 30 gallon sump. Probably about 165 gallons total water volume. I'm looking at Pentair units from BRS. The 40w says it's rated for 260 gallons and the 80w says 600 gallons. Is there a benefit for going way oversize? My initial use will be for Dino/Algae control, but one day I may want to adjust flow for pest. Just trying to determine if it's worth paying the extra $400 for the bigger unit or if 40w is plenty for 165 gallons of water.
The biggest control is the flow rate through the UV. Bigger if you want more turn over in the main system that has been through the UV.

OP
OP
hobbyreefer

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to purchase the Pentair 40 watt UV, but I'm still concerned if this is the right size for my setup. BRS's website shows this is good for up to 260 gallons, but I keep seeing I should buy a UV that is 3x the recommended size or 3 watts per gallon. Using that logic, the Pentair 40 watt seems undersized. My tank is literally covered in Dinos and I'm trying to make sure I'm spending money on the right thing. Has anyone had success clearing Dinos on ~150 gallons with the 40 watt UV? Do I still need to go way oversized even with the large Pentair UVs?

Back