People still diy leds?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy used to be all the thing. Rapid led was my main site...people dont do this anymore?
I would think a diy led unit with the new chip style leds. The big 50w ones would be great.
Lol.
Idk im going t5. I just ask cuz im gonna diy build moonlights i think.
D

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diy used to be all the thing. Rapid led was my main site...people dont do this anymore?
I would think a diy led unit with the new chip style leds. The big 50w ones would be great.
Lol.
D
I haven’t built any recently but I’m still using the 2 four foot fixtures I build 7-8 years ago over my new 300 8 foot tank and love the color :)

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cpl diy heatsinks and old.meanwell drivers. I plugged them in but didnt get much. Lol. Ill prob play with them when i get the time.

Ive been throught 3 or 4 or so led fixtures and my t5 fixture bulbs will add up over the yrs so im just thinkin.
If i diy.led.i will use strong powerful leds with wide optics of.any.
Be nice to use an optic like the difussers.
D

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a DIY rebuild of my crappy old MaxSpect's, everything but the timers basically. Having the physical shells to work with made it viable for me. But I don't think I'd start from scratch unless I had a very unique situation that a commercial fixture wouldn't work on.

It used to be that DIY's were equivalent or superior to the commercial fixtures at lower price, but the commercial stuff has improved so much over the past 10 years it's crazy. The output, control, and integration they have now isn't as easy to replicate with DIY systems.

Galvano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I test-drove this 7-channel 12-pounder on my new 30 gal cube.

20210406_aos.jpg

As long as I burn my fingers when touching commercial LED units I won't buy such highly stressed devices doomed to fade within a few years.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously considered DIY about a year ago when looking to upgrade my lights. I had all of the parts i'd need picked out and added up the total cost before ordering anything for my 150 gallon. After seeing the total cost, the price was pretty close to off the shelf LEDs that have a warrantee and a following with support for lighting schedules and such. Just couldn't justify DIY if I wasn't going to save a significant amount of money. I think if you want to DIY for the sake of DIY, than it would be a worth while project. But if you're doing it to save money, it's not going to really get you there anymore.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drivers i think are the only real thing i need to research...
Making a diy moonlight now to play and learn a little with. The wires are even solderless. Lol. Well see. Im thinking hot glue gun to attach to heat sinks. 80deg optics on my moons.
Blue or white?!
Lol
Royal blue has been recommended.

On the topic note. Ive been through countless led fixtures and the t5 bulbs will add up over the years so a quality diy build might be my future. Did i already say that? Lol man im old.
Maybe a diy retrofit 2 or 4 bulb t5 invloved too we will see.
Thanks all!
-d

Ruralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.
D
I did this more than 10 years ago ,mostly 50w modules with some 10's as well
I built the entire thing myself. 50w modules were very expensive then (40$ each !). They are cheap now.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 153

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drivers i think are the only real thing i need to research...
Making a diy moonlight now to play and learn a little with. The wires are even solderless. Lol. Well see. Im thinking hot glue gun to attach to heat sinks. 80deg optics on my moons.
Blue or white?!
Lol
Royal blue has been recommended.

On the topic note. Ive been through countless led fixtures and the t5 bulbs will add up over the years so a quality diy build might be my future. Did i already say that? Lol man im old.
Maybe a diy retrofit 2 or 4 bulb t5 invloved too we will see.
Thanks all!
-d
I don't think glue will transfer heat well, you will need thermal grease that is used for real heat transfer between semi-conductor and heat sink.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill ask about the epoxy or.glue. ive been talking with rapid led customer support. My moonlight is.looking cheap though.

Would you even takr your diy leds down and rebuild them? Would you add colors or dimmers or maybe update the optics to a wider lens?
Ty all for your input.
D

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy prefab led when $40 can light any 4 foot tank?
the LED's ive looked at were 3 to 5 dollars each, so times 12 = 36 to 60 dollars and thenI have to get the board+drivers+housing and then I have to deal with lead and soldering...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.
D
Ooh they definitely do. With the new samsung diodes and how cheap quantum board parts have become. Amazing grow lights being produced.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill ask about the epoxy or.glue. ive been talking with rapid led customer support. My moonlight is.looking cheap though.

Would you even takr your diy leds down and rebuild them? Would you add colors or dimmers or maybe update the optics to a wider lens?
Ty all for your input.
D
They have self stick thermal pads to secure heat sink to diode.

ManQuarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chanzon High Power Led Chip 50W Royal Blue Plant Grow Light (440nm-450nm / 1500mA / DC 30V-34V / 50 Watt) SMD COB Emitter Diode Components 50 W Bead for DIY Hydroponic Aquarium Growing Lamps​

$7
Amazon

ManQuarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back