People stink sometimes: 1,000,000 for Trident on Auction site

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I still don't understand what people are so excited for. Do they really hate testing their water themselves THAT much?! Haha, I don't think I'd even set one up if I got one for free. The more complicated you make things, the more likely you'll end up making mistakes IMO. Keep it simple;)
I don’t know that I hate testing that much, but I know that things work better when I do it more, and I know that I don’t end up doing it as often as I would need to for the results I want. 10 minutes per day pays back fast, even with the reagent cost.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if there are idiots to buy them!
This is my thought exactly. I have a really hard time understanding why people were complaining so loudly about the wait for the trident and now why they are going so crazy (and complaining that they can't get one right away.)

They're neat machines, but it's by no means certain that it's going to change reefing, and if your reef is failing already, I don't think this will fix it. If you have $4k to throw away, go ahead, but why not just wait?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have waited another couple years. By 2006 most places I knew were not only giving away VCRs, but also giving away the VHS tapes to avoid taking up space in their dumpsters. Somehow I don't think VHS will experience the nostalgic value that some records have, although I could be wrong.

Vinyl is not just about nostalgia. There’s a small percentage of audiophiles for whom vinyl remains the pinnacle of sound quality. Compared to some high end turntables, a $4K trident is pittance. Fully agree on VHS .... good riddance.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not so shocked about $3000 trident's in the first week, I knew that was coming based off the pics that they were releasing that there were not going to be enough. If you can get that crazy money...you go get that money! If it is worth it to you and you have the expendable income, props.

What I was the most shocked at was the complete hatefulness that has been put on display by both sides. Why cannot people be happy for people that got them and the ones that might profit from this and figured out that they could sell, wait and get theres for free? Why must someone be an idiot if there value calculation is different and they think a 3k purchase might help protect their significantly larger expenditure on live corals, it was worth it to them? It's not in my calculus but I can see the scenario and who am I to judge? Is it worth getting all Lord of the Flies over it? Nope. It's like we have turned into the other reef site.

Remember, this is a free market and a product will be sold at what the market will bare. With all markets it will correct as more supply comes online.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinyl is not just about nostalgia. There’s a small percentage of audiophiles for whom vinyl remains the pinnacle of sound quality. Compared to some high end turntables, a $4K trident is pittance. Fully agree on VHS .... good riddance.
True, but I think most of the people supporting vinyl also can't tell the difference, and I've had far too many people who own and regularly listen to vinyl tell me that other portions of their audio systems sounded so much better with a different brand of speaker wire....portions that I know to be digital not analog.

I had a friend who became an EE. One of his hobbies was making his own tube amps from a blank sheet of paper through the actual build. He knew subtleties in circuit design I don't even dream about, and he liked the sound of tube amps. He also goes to a lot of 1940s period themed events, dresses accordingly, etc. I made the mistake once of saying (ok, parroting) in front of him that tube amps were a more accurate reproduction of music.
He promptly went in to a lesson about how (and why) while he prefers the sound of vinyl on a tube amp over a high bitrate digital file on something newer, the vinyl isn't more accurate, it just makes a different sort of distortion, which is more in line with traditional systems. He also firmly believed that if he designed a digital circuit to put in an occasional pop or tick, mush off the sound wave a bit, and then popped a few tubes out the top of the enclosure, that all but a few of the other enthusiasts he had met wouldn't know the difference unless he told them. I don't by any means miss VHS, and I love DLP, but there is something inside me that feels films are "better" when I see an occasional blip on the screen like a piece of dust, a quick vertical line, or the slightly too bright look of a just changed projector bulb.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2331_1333018210_496_2331.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That IS sweet …. a work of art indeed!!! Although I don't futz with vinyl anymore, I do still run tube amplifiers. Maybe it is the distortion that appeals to me or maybe it's something else ….. regardless they are sublime. BTW, I did not intend my idiot comment to be necessarily pejorative, rather IF_____, THEN _____. Based on the $$ I have spent on my sound system (dwarfs my reef tank) I absolutely would consider it idiotic LOL.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the group that can "do without" Trident. It's a novel idea and great for those who want to automate their testing, but I prefer to be "hands on" with mine. It's like having Merry Maids for my tanks - no thanks.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...The Trident cleans my tank too like Merry Maids? SOLD! In all seriousness, I am hoping to see more info come out from the NSI and First round buyers in the next few weeks before I pull the trigger one way or another.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Trident knock-off? It is not space age trendy looking aka Sidney Opera House styling of the newest testor. It looks more like a Dr. Who /Hogan's Hero's Gonkulater imo.

If I had a million dollars to buy equipment right now I would get a hot toasted chicken sandwich with cranberry relish and sweet gherkin pickles and a double gin and tonic with fresh lime on a tropical reef while someone else watched and tested my reef back home. I might buy them a Trident so they would only have to feed and the ATO filled. Keep it light and easy if you can, Right?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT Quote @McPuff Trident... no thanks. I'll just manually test my parameters like a chump. Even at MSRP, the trident would never pay off for me. But I do understand that some people like gadgets and will enjoy using/having it.

Hey I would love a BLACK-BOX to run the tank when I cant. Like this week I have to work 7 12's and I will be in no mood to do testing, besides the topoff is dry, I NEED to do a WC, the grass needs mowing and winter damage repairs then add my son who NEEDS to go FISHING(family time) and to TOP things off ICP came back with tin off the charts...So I will be working on the tank....wish i had help ;)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be into tubes. I am into very small, low component chip builds now. Way less distortion and amazing depth. I only need a few watts to make my modified beta 12lta speakers sing.

I use an old PS1 for a cd player and home grown interconnects and speaker wires made from a low twist 16 gauge patio extension cord. Total cost for my whole audio system: $200

This is the same thing with my aquarium setup. Total cost for my 93 that is GROWING SPS, LPS and Softies: $960 approximately.

Now, if I had real money, I would not blink about a $100K classic car. :D

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be into tubes.
;Muted
I tried to find pics of the guy who makes this, He also made one with hammered Iron core transformers, it puts this to shame and he used Walnut for the cabinet...Stunning!

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Muted
I tried to find pics of the guy who makes this, He also made one with hammered Iron core transformers, it puts this to shame and he used Walnut for the cabinet...Stunning!
Siggy, I like it when you talk dirty! BTW if you find that please share...because that sounds awesome. See...this is much better than talking about the device that shall not be named.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno who makes that amp specifically .... Yarland maybe. Works of art some of these tube amplifiers, though not always that good at driving real-world speakers. Mine (VTL) do much better at the latter, as my speakers are mammoth, but don’t have the looks. You think the LFS is disappearing, try finding a high end audio salon ...... :(.

33E1C1D1-D349-4B3A-A67F-F973DA3CB62F.jpeg

5A764933-67A9-4ADB-8B89-A51AFC093A96.jpeg

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back