People stink sometimes: 1,000,000 for Trident on Auction site

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't jump to conclusions. I just checked the link and it was removed by the seller due to an error in the listing.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't jump to conclusions. I just checked the link and it was removed by the seller due to an error in the listing.
probably sold off line
f093158dfa26aa8f80daeac989501cd4.png

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of escalating this thread....Apologies, but maybe it should be squashed? @Jeight

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those idiots are members on this very forum, bet you wouldn't call them that in their build threads or other posts

Idiot is as idiot does. Anyone who pays $3K for something they can get for $600 in a few week qualifies as 'idiot' in my book. Probably anyone who would do that won't fess up anyhow - I know I wouldn't. Then I'd be the 'fool and his money that soon goes separate ways' as the old ELO song says. I'm all for capitalism, and I get that some people have so much $$ that it doesn't matter ….. but really! It annoys me, not because I could not afford it (though I would not), but because it 'deprives' somebody of one that might provide a useful review or user experience rather than simply price gouging to make a buck. Thumbs down! I get why people might find my perspective annoying or insulting so I'll say nothing further on the subject.

OP
OP
Jeight

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of escalating this thread....Apologies, but maybe it should be squashed? @Jeight

Capitalism is one thing gouging is another. I do not think I called anyone an idiot I simple said people "stink" ...I wanted to say alot more but it would have been filtered and rude. There were so many people who wanted one of these and the release was botched by companies **cough BRS** putting them on sale before midnight that one might suggest a conspiracy theory when my LFS who is a APEX dealer did not even get one to sell and they had 75 out before release. Like they weren't going to sell them anyways so they put them out early..why?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capitalism is one thing gouging is another. I do not think I called anyone an idiot I simple said people "stink" ...I wanted to say alot more but it would have been filtered and rude. There were so many people who wanted one of these and the release was botched by companies **cough BRS** putting them on sale before midnight that one might suggest a conspiracy theory when my LFS who is a APEX dealer did not even get one to sell and they had 75 out before release. Like they weren't going to sell them anyways so they put them out early..why?
I would not say it was brs problem, they had like 90 units only.. but I agree with you I do not see your post wrong...

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idiot is as idiot does. Anyone who pays $3K for something they can get for $600 in a few week qualifies as 'idiot' in my book. Probably anyone who would do that won't fess up anyhow - I know I wouldn't. Then I'd be the 'fool and his money that soon goes separate ways' as the old ELO song says. I'm all for capitalism, and I get that some people have so much $$ that it doesn't matter ….. but really! It annoys me, not because I could not afford it (though I would not), but because it 'deprives' somebody of one that might provide a useful review or user experience rather than simply price gouging to make a buck. Thumbs down! I get why people might find my perspective annoying or insulting so I'll say nothing further on the subject.

It's all a matter of perspective... Let's take someone who earns 2,000,000$ a year. That person makes roughly 1000$/hour (with certain assumptions). For them to be wasting their time doing manual or Hanna checks for a few weeks as opposed to spending 3K$ setting this up in 15 minutes and saving 10 minutes per day (yes you can do a check in 3 minutes but all the prep, cleaning and all that...) to do other things is actually "saving" them time/money in the long run, and that's even assuming the units are available in a few weeks and do not sell out in 10 minutes like they did...Those people are GENIUSES in my book!

Full disclaimer: I'm not one of those lucky people, and I did not buy a 3k Triton (although if availability does not get better I might just consider buying an overpriced unit in the future). I just don't appreciate people calling others idiots for things they don't seem to understand.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads are getting so old on R2R. Always someone complaing about another spending ridiculous money then resort to calling them names. No need for this stuff. @Jeight why take issue with BRS or someone trying to make money buy selling online? Why not take issue with Neptune for releasing small batches or playing the marketing game? I will never own a Neptune product, I'm not a fan of automation but I've been reading a lot of misplaced anger towards others that in my opinion is just plain wrong. Anyway, I'm done here.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads are getting so old on R2R. Always someone complaing about another spending ridiculous money then resort to calling them names. No need for this stuff. @Jeight why take issue with BRS or someone trying to make money buy selling online? Why not take issue with Neptune for releasing small batches or playing the marketing game? I will never own a Neptune product, I'm not a fan of automation but I've been reading a lot of misplaced anger towards others that in my opinion is just plain wrong. Anyway, I'm done here.
Well said. I do not see BRS at fault here.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of times vendors on Ebay have "stores" that sells multiples of certain items. To keep their store current (by Ebay standards) when they run out or are expecting a replenishment order, they "jack" the prices to be able to keep their ads without having to relist at a fee. IE: Vendor has some latest fad product but runs out of stock, when they get to their last sale they up the price sky high. And like everyone above, thinks he's nutts. It's called "place-matting" a product. (So he avoids having to pay a relisting fee. Which when you have a store by my understanding is more $ than a standard listing)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im not so stunned with asking price but would be more stunned if they actually get a buyer.
No different than those who grab items on Black Friday and sell for up to 8X the price. I remember Xmas of 2017 when they came out with Hatchimals toy which was $64.99 and was the hottest toy, and stores could not keep them on shelves. Craigslist: $100-150 EBAY: $150-$350 and they were getting sold !

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my first VCR back in the 80's for $540. Twenty years later they were $69. Think I'll wait this one out.
You should have waited another couple years. By 2006 most places I knew were not only giving away VCRs, but also giving away the VHS tapes to avoid taking up space in their dumpsters. Somehow I don't think VHS will experience the nostalgic value that some records have, although I could be wrong.

Edit: TBD how long I'm going to wait this one out. Right now I'm in the middle of a slow but long distance relocation, so I only get to see my tank every 4-6 weeks. My wife begrudgingly puts in nori and does an occasional API alk test (because it is faster than Hanna), but with 600 gallons of SPS I'd get a significant benefit from one of these. Sadly that tank is running a classic Apex, so it wouldn't work. I do have a new Apex for just this reason, but its on a tank being set up at the destination location, and it has very low consumption currently.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have waited another couple years. By 2006 most places I knew were not only giving away VCRs, but also giving away the VHS tapes to avoid taking up space in their dumpsters. Somehow I don't think VHS will experience the nostalgic value that some records have, although I could be wrong.

Edit: TBD how long I'm going to wait this one out. Right now I'm in the middle of a slow but long distance relocation, so I only get to see my tank every 4-6 weeks. My wife begrudgingly puts in nori and does an occasional API alk test (because it is faster than Hanna), but with 600 gallons of SPS I'd get a significant benefit from one of these. Sadly that tank is running a classic Apex, so it wouldn't work. I do have a new Apex for just this reason, but its on a tank being set up at the destination location, and it has very low consumption currently.
I actually think the Apex is over priced as well, although I bought one anyway. I'm surprised there isn't already a cheaper knock off version of the Apex. It's only a matter of time and when it happens they will lower pricing.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I still don't understand what people are so excited for. Do they really hate testing their water themselves THAT much?! Haha, I don't think I'd even set one up if I got one for free. The more complicated you make things, the more likely you'll end up making mistakes IMO. Keep it simple;)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back