Peppermint Hogfish Reef Safe?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys safe to put in a reef tank? I do have a few hermits. I've been hearing mixed things. LiveAquaria says they are, but Saltwaterfish.com says they aren't.

Anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks!

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. I keep seeing people say hogfish are jerks. I don't know what to believe haha
I have a peppermint and a 6+" cuban hog. the peppermint doesnt mess with anything at all. The cuban will only mess with a snail if it gets over turned but that really never happens with Trochus snails. The Cuban doesnt mess with the fire shrimp, other fish or coral. only over turned snails. He is a huge PIG when it comes to food though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are best in a fish only setting and can get territorial but for most part good colorful tank member

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Darn. So many mixed reviews, but it’s probably better to err on the safe side.

Any thoughts on the Swales Candy Basslet?
No experience owning one but here is some info:

Holy Grail of marine aquarium fish, the Candy Basslet (Liopropoma carmabi), and that gave me the impetus to write again.

The Candy Basslet is part of the larger family (Serranidae) of sea basses, groupers and reef basslets. It’s one of 23 to 27 species (depending upon whom you cite) of reef basslets in the subfamily Liopropomini. The reef basslets have always been some of my favorite aquarium fish because they’re generally hardy, attractive, easy to feed, disease-resistant, and remain small. Also, since they do not pick at sessile invertebrates, they’re an ideal choice for the coral reef aquarium. One caveat: They will eat any shrimp or crab that’s small enough to fit into their mouth. This is less of an issue with the smaller members of genus, such as the Candy Basslet, but something to consider with larger species, such as the Wrasse Bass (L. eukrines), which can reach 6 inches in length.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience owning one but here is some info:

Holy Grail of marine aquarium fish, the Candy Basslet (Liopropoma carmabi), and that gave me the impetus to write again.

The Candy Basslet is part of the larger family (Serranidae) of sea basses, groupers and reef basslets. It’s one of 23 to 27 species (depending upon whom you cite) of reef basslets in the subfamily Liopropomini. The reef basslets have always been some of my favorite aquarium fish because they’re generally hardy, attractive, easy to feed, disease-resistant, and remain small. Also, since they do not pick at sessile invertebrates, they’re an ideal choice for the coral reef aquarium. One caveat: They will eat any shrimp or crab that’s small enough to fit into their mouth. This is less of an issue with the smaller members of genus, such as the Candy Basslet, but something to consider with larger species, such as the Wrasse Bass (L. eukrines), which can reach 6 inches in length.
Thanks! Seems like that guy would be the safer option, then.

Back