Hammer coral
Zoa coral
And a couple other LPS
Pair of maroon clowns
Striped blenny
Black cardinal
Diamond goby

Tank is at 35 ppt and ~77F
Bought it used and tank was about 2 years old with the clowns. Kept the rock in saltwater while moving, but put in new live sand. I’ve had the tank for about 6 weeks now.

Yesterday I got some new coral from a lfs. Added them to the tank but noticed a bug on one of them and dipped them in Bayer insect killer for 5 minutes, did two saltwater baths each for about 5 minutes and returned them to the tank. Went to bed around 12:00am and everything looked fine. This morning around 10:00am when I came out my peppermint and fire shrimp were laying on their side in the sand bed. Both their legs are still moving and have some function but are on their side and looked like they were dead at first glance. Our emerald crab didn’t look too good either and it’s mouth was the only thing moving. Even when I put the net near it stayed completely still (usually it freaks out and runs away). I took the crab and two shrimp out and put them in a ~40 gallon sump of a different tank I am cycling (crab and shrimp are in different sections of sump. The water is not moving in the tank above sump and had fresh RODI water put in the sump before I moved them to it. I hooking up the pump in the sump to the filter socks to act as a filter and water movement in the meantime. I tested ammonia with API on tank and it came back with a color halfway between 0 and 0.25. In the sump the levels are 0. Snails and hermits seem to be fine still and are moving in the tank.

I did a water change yesterday with RODI water and instant ocean reef crystals. Opened a new sealed bucket of salt yesterday to use, but was the same kind I’ve been using. Let the salt mix for 5 hours or so in a 5 gallon bucket with a pump and power head. I didn’t heat the water before putting it in and know now I should do that after reading other posts. I did the water change around 3:00pm yesterday and at midnight they all seemed to be doing okay. Tank is around 35 ppt at the moment and 77F.

An hour or so after being put in the sump my crab is doing better and moving around more. Shrimp are still on their side and barely moving except for their “legs” (things underneath their tail section) I just mostly want to know what’s wrong and if this will affect my other fish in the tank soon? I would go my LFS but they are closed on Sunday now due to COVID-19. Currently in the tank I have a pair of maroon clown, striped blenny, black cardinal, diamond goby, 10 snails for the glass and 5 hermit crabs

Sorry about the picture quality but it’s hard to get a good picture inside the sump with reflections.

Thank you for the help!

990D8D33-104C-4FE9-9558-513F8D493B7D.jpeg 5FC9DDC5-2052-4B07-BFB3-CE0C86EC7D76.jpeg B454E4CF-D4E3-4B93-B786-55BE6BEF8807.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bradyhall805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both shrimp and crab were bought 4 weeks ago. Both shrimp molted around 2.5 weeks ago.

OP
OP
B

Bradyhall805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have been feeding a pinch of pellets in the morning and a pinch of flakes at night one day and then a pinch of pellets in the morning and half cube of frozen variety pack at night day two. All the other fish seem to be normal right now and the corals are all out and looking decent too. In the pictures the leather toadstool was out more earlier, but when I moved the crab I accidentally touched it and it went back in a bit. When dipping the coral yesterday a small pest starfish came off and a couple other bugs came off.

B75ACEED-D8B9-4B27-B256-DECA0C08C6A7.jpeg 8C1C6C40-F075-4271-B023-949C7567FA38.jpeg C9AB044D-4232-48B2-B09E-30BF2A56E940.jpeg F0706087-9222-4E1A-9801-EDE4996960EB.jpeg 38E7549C-6C28-4D50-BBD2-EC937FD41475.jpeg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much more you can do.
Thats what I would have done.

My bet would be on the insecticide.
In suck a small tank none the less.
They may have nibbled on a creature or two that was on the dipped coral.
These creatures could have absormed the insecticide a d died, thus transfering the poison to them.
So the doubble rinse would not have helped as the creatured died in the poison.

All the more reason to QT everything seperatly first before they go into the display. And in a 29 gallon tank even more reason.

Seperate QT would allow time for the creatures that ingested the poison to die and fall off the coral into the QT, never making it into the DT.
Just going to have to wait it out

OP
OP
B

Bradyhall805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much more you can do.
Thats what I would have done.

My bet would be on the insecticide.
In suck a small tank none the less.
They may have nibbled on a creature or two that was on the dipped coral.
These creatures could have absormed the insecticide a d died, thus transfering the poison to them.
So the doubble rinse would not have helped as the creatured died in the poison.

All the more reason to QT everything seperatly first before they go into the display. And in a 29 gallon tank even more reason.

Seperate QT would allow time for the creatures that ingested the poison to die and fall off the coral into the QT, never making it into the DT.
Just going to have to wait it out

Thank you for the quick reply back. I did not think about the bugs still being inside the corals. I’m going to go out today and get a QT tank just in case. Was wanting to turn the 29 into one when my 80 gallon tank got up and running, but I guess that came back and got me. Should have just spent the $29 at PetCo and bough a QT tank. Thank you again so much for the help! Still new to this and was really freaking out.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope my theory is right.
Keep a close eye on everything, but I am sure you are.

Maybe others will chime in still.

OP
OP
B

Bradyhall805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope my theory is right.
Keep a close eye on everything, but I am sure you are.

Maybe others will chime in still.
Do you have any advice on how long I should keep corals in QT to make sure they are safe? I’ve read around 2-3 weeks.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are excelent coral QT threads here on R2R.
I am still new and learning and THINK I understand more than I do.
So my opinions may not hold water.

I think 2-3 weeks for experienced would be good, for novices like myself I would go 4-6 weeks.
I don't know the signs to look for yet.
So having corals in QT longer will give me a close up look daily.

OP
OP
B

Bradyhall805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are excelent coral QT threads here on R2R.
I am still new and learning and THINK I understand more than I do.
So my opinions may not hold water.

I think 2-3 weeks for experienced would be good, for novices like myself I would go 4-6 weeks.
I don't know the signs to look for yet.
So having corals in QT longer will give me a close up look daily.
Thank you I will check that out right now! Once again I appreciate your help with this!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back