Peppermint shrimp and Melanurus Wrasse

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few aiptasia in my tank and I am considering getting some peppermint shrimp to take care of them. I have a fairly small Melanurus wrasse in my tank, and I am wanting to know if the peppermint shrimp will just become a expensive snack for the wrasse. I know every individual fish is different but I was wanting to get others experiences so I can judge if the risk is worth it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50-50 on whether Mel decides to dine-in or dine-out. I had a rather larger coral banded shrimp that someone took out (melanarus is one of a handful of suspects).
I’ve never seen my wrasse go after any of my CUC so I am slightly optimistic that he will be fine with them.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew for sure but I’m pretty confident my melanurus enjoyed a few expensive shrimp in his day.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they'd be fine if it's still small. If you are able to choose the specimens get em big and introduce at night.
I was planning to introduce at night, but I unfortunately am getting them from algae barn which is ORA, which I am sure are small. I would like to get them from a lfs but I am not confident that I can tell the different species apart so I know I get some that are supposedly completely coral safe.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just added a few emerald crabs and I’m trying to decide if I’m going to add the peppermint shrimp. I may have just bought my wrasse a nice meal.
You may have but I feed every other day. That may have been part of it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back