Peppermint shrimp larvae and isolation tank

Introvertedmaniack

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2025
Messages
55
Reaction score
20
Location
South Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone! just need to know if this is a good enough larvae and isolation tank for my gravid peppermint shrimp. its a 20L bucket with a sponge filter for gentle filtration + good bacteria + aeration, heater pre-set to about 25°C, a temporary hide because i have no spare rock, and a thermometer in the bottom. the small amount of sand is in there because it was already in the bucket and i got far too too nervous about miss gravid realeasing her larvae into the main tank.
as an aside, what do I do with these larvae once they hatch? I don't really want them but i also don't want to let them hatch in the main tank and possibly explode my ammonia if theres too many for my 4 peppermints and 3 brittle stars to eat. if you guys think the main tank (65L) can tank it though then i might move her back into the main tank and trust the process
(the bucket will be filled more, thats just the established tank water i got from the main tank)

PXL_20251024_121614465.MP.jpg
 
I think you are on the right track with the sponge filter. I'd have opted for a small tank instead of a bucket though to be able to observe things better.
 
I think you are on the right track with the sponge filter. I'd have opted for a small tank instead of a bucket though to be able to observe things better.
unfortunately i don't have another tank :( i only have my display tank and my 2 buckets and I can't really afford to go and grab another tank, nor do I have the physical space for one :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new