Peppermint shrimp NOT so "reef safe"

  • Thread starter Thread starter hopperjl16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hopperjl16

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
217
Reaction score
122
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a peppermint shrimp a couple weeks ago to take care of some mild aiptasia that I didn't want to get out of hand. Today I put a green pocillopora in my tank and she immediately went after it. I thought at first she was just cleaning stuff off, but she was being awfully persistent. I shooed her off and fed everyone, but hours later she was back at it again. I looked it up and some people had reported them going after acros. I gave her one more chance, but by 8 hrs post putting this new coral in my tank she had eaten several polyps. It was real obvious at that point, she was definitely doing damage. I feel really bad giving her the boot....but I'm sure by morning she would have totally killed that coral. And who knows when she would've gone after others. [emoji17]
 
They will go after polyps.
I never seen itmyself that peps are going after the SPS as I have visit many homes with peps in their tank and no complains but yes sometimes.
You have one that will go after it the whole nine yards.
Ps: get a cleaner shrimp and maybe put the peps in the sump for the time being.
 
I am pretty sure that one of them took out one of my Acans. Its hard to tell, I have 3 but they stay hidden until a couple hours after the lights go out and anytime I see them they are just swaying back and forth in one place. So far I cant tell that they have taken out any aptaisia.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new