Percs spawning under mags

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two spawn every few weeks. I always think one stray baby is going to find a way to survive, like a cichlid in a freshwater tank. But in over a decade, not once have I had a baby survive. They always hatch just fine, but maybe the anemones snatch them, there's not really filter media per se to grab them, but there is a skimmer. Not sure, but never a survivor.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two spawn every few weeks. I always think one stray baby is going to find a way to survive, like a cichlid in a freshwater tank. But in over a decade, not once have I had a baby survive. They always hatch just fine, but maybe the anemones snatch them, there's not really filter media per se to grab them, but there is a skimmer. Not sure, but never a survivor.
The clowns and other fish/inverts will eat the newly hatched fish... if they don't eat the eggs before they hatch.

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns and other fish/inverts will eat the newly hatched fish... if they don't eat the eggs before they hatch.
They never eat the eggs before they hatch. And the eggs always hatch after the lights go out. By the next day, all the babies are gone. I assume the skimmer and quite a few rock flower anemones are responsible for their demise.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They never eat the eggs before they hatch. And the eggs always hatch after the lights go out. By the next day, all the babies are gone. I assume the skimmer and quite a few rock flower anemones are responsible for their demise.
What fish, shrimp, and/or crabs are in the tank?

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish, shrimp, and/or crabs are in the tank?
There's just the two percs as far as fish. No crabs, shrimp, etc. Actually, only H. magnifica, rock flower anemones (a bunch) and discosoma mushrooms. As far as filtration, there's only the skimmer, but there are power heads and the return from the sump. So maybe the impellers are involved. Years ago I had various cichlids and I still have livebearers. And despite all the perils, a few baby cichlids would always find a safe haven and the same with livebearers. But not with clownfish. I have a pair of maroons in a different tank that spawn regularly and have for a many years. And like the percs, not a sole survivor.

I've never actually gone to the trouble of a grow out tank. I am too lazy ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's just the two percs as far as fish. No crabs, shrimp, etc. Actually, only H. magnifica, rock flower anemones (a bunch) and discosoma mushrooms. As far as filtration, there's only the skimmer, but there are power heads and the return from the sump. So maybe the impellers are involved. Years ago I had various cichlids and I still have livebearers. And despite all the perils, a few baby cichlids would always find a safe haven and the same with livebearers. But not with clownfish. I have a pair of maroons in a different tank that spawn regularly and have for a many years. And like the percs, not a sole survivor.

I've never actually gone to the trouble of a grow out tank. I am too lazy ;)
Yeah, cichlids are a whole different story.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! if you want to raise the fry i think you'd just need a rearing tank and a supply of rotifers. natural selection is not kind to baby fish in captivity... apparently they are delicious

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! if you want to raise the fry i think you'd just need a rearing tank and a supply of rotifers. natural selection is not kind to baby fish in captivity... apparently they are delicious
Thank you! Maybe one of these days I will have the space and motivation to actually set up a grow-out/rearing tank for the fry. I'm sure it's satisfying to watch them grow, but I know it's labor intensive.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am zero for ###### (pick any very large number for the denominator) in terms of baby clown survival. It’s not really about getting eaten or filtered out, there’s just no appropriate food source.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am zero for ###### (pick any very large number for the denominator) in terms of baby clown survival. It’s not really about getting eaten or filtered out, there’s just no appropriate food source.
When you think about the size of the food that they need at birth, it's amazing that any survive in the wild. Just goes to show why a clownfish lays a couple hundred eggs (or more!) each time. The likelihood of even one surviving is minimal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree - Mine ate the eggs once because other fish were trying also. I get the babies to hatch but because I rarely have time to tend to them and transfer, they get eaten anyway.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems like I'm not able to provide any helpful advice to you at the moment, but I must say, your fish are truly beautiful! I was wondering if it would be possible for you to share more about your tank setup and perhaps even do a tank reveal? Also, I'm quite curious to know what type of perculas you have in your tank, if you don't mind sharing that information.

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like I'm not able to provide any helpful advice to you at the moment, but I must say, your fish are truly beautiful! I was wondering if it would be possible for you to share more about your tank setup and perhaps even do a tank reveal? Also, I'm quite curious to know what type of perculas you have in your tank, if you don't mind sharing that information.
Thank you! The tank is a 60 gallon system, cube. The percs were purchased from Petco, believe it or not. In Pasadena CA there is a Petco that has a decent saltwater section, or at least it did years ago when I got them. I got the female first, about 12 years ago. I let her settle in and then I got the smaller male. They almost immediately established who was dominant and submissive. Also, because magnificas are their preferred hosts in the wild, they almost immediately took to the mags--even though I doubt they had ever even seen an anemone.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The tank is a 60 gallon system, cube. The percs were purchased from Petco, believe it or not. In Pasadena CA there is a Petco that has a decent saltwater section, or at least it did years ago when I got them. I got the female first, about 12 years ago. I let her settle in and then I got the smaller male. They almost immediately established who was dominant and submissive. Also, because magnificas are their preferred hosts in the wild, they almost immediately took to the mags--even though I doubt they had ever even seen an anemone.
Your tank is beautiful! Also i live next to that petco currently and you'll be pleased to know the saltwater side is still good. Every time I go even if just for cat litter I get distracted chatting with the aquatics staff.

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful! Also i live next to that petco currently and you'll be pleased to know the saltwater side is still good. Every time I go even if just for cat litter I get distracted chatting with the aquatics staff.
Thank you for letting me know they're keeping their saltwater section in good shape. That's one of the only Petcos in the area that I know of that has worthwhile saltwater section.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just Laid eggs last night in a rock that is right in the middle of where 3 gigs touch... it's well protected...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@garygb,
The surprise thing when I see your video is how dark your clowns are in your Magnifica. My A. percula clowns always loose color when they are in my Magnifica.
I am also 0 for XXX (huge number) also. I have a really biological diverse sump. I had Banggai Cardinal survived from time to time, but not clowns.

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@garygb,
The surprise thing when I see your video is how dark your clowns are in your Magnifica. My A. percula clowns always loose color when they are in my Magnifica.
I am also 0 for XXX (huge number) also. I have a really biological diverse sump. I had Banggai Cardinal survived from time to time, but not clowns.

OP
OP
garygb

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are almost melanistic. Interesting that some fade, and apparently, some get darker. I knew merten's cause melanism in clowns. It seems my mags have a similar effect.

I'm not the only one for sure, being 0 for XXX when it comes to freshly hatched clowns. It would be a nice surprise to see a couple of babies hiding out, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back