Percula aggression

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two true percula clownfish. The larger clownfish we have had for two years, and was close to one year old when we first got it. So we guesstimate it to be three years old. It was in our system with a smaller ocellaris for about six months. That ocellaris jumped into the back chamber onto some filter floss and didn’t make it. Just over one year ago we purchased a captive bred juvenile true percula. The two percula never fought and never did the submissive and aggressive dance. They’ve did swim close to each othering sleep next to each other and seemed to be bonded. About a month ago the smaller younger percula started to show lots of aggression to the larger percula, especially at night. The larger percula has shredded fins and looked pale. I quarentined the larger percula thinking at first it was fin rot and possible bacterial infection. Noticed some white stringy poop also. So I started reading the whole tank metro and focus soaked foods and kept the larger percula in qt until she/he was healed up. Reintroduced and the same night terror started again. I do notice the larger percula twitches and shows it’s underside to the smaller younger percula. Now we had thought that the larger clownfish was female since we had the larger one for so long, and it had always been the largest clownfish, and that it had been alone for as much as the first six months of its life and a few months in our tank by itself. Is it possible that it never turned female? And if it had not, why would it be more submissive to the younger s mallet clownfish?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 females now. Sometimes is hard to form a pair. I would trade the lil one in and get another...hopefully shell find him appealing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back