OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some goodies in today including the Skimmer, got it setup, hoping to get a pic up soon. So less than a week away from tank arrival. I was lucky enough to get delivery day, and following off. Hoping to get stand done so it can cure for a few days before my next day off, Sunday. If not, owell, the 60 is doing well, so no real hurry.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update today with some pics of things arriving, and my general thoughts on the plan. As the stock sump of the system seems fairly basic, and likely doesn't have a pre-installed Overflow sock fitting, I was able to find this as a solution. It is a basic 2 pipe 1" fitting, into a 7" sock fitting, that tightens down with acrylic screws, to the sump.
20210404_075631.jpg

Inside the 7" sock ring, I ordered the Ice-cap 7" filter cup, and inside of it I will use just mesh, I picked up 5 bags of this stuff, made by Lifeguard, seems good enough to keep sump detritus free.
20210404_080956.jpg

The sump will run as clean as possible, to avoid any clogging of the media, which will be this DIY spaghetti basket, grey in color, and square versus round, bpa free, and plenty of extra drilled holes, making it easy for water to pass through the media. Media is 2 liters of Aquaforest Life Bio Fil, after the skimmer. This media has the same Probiotic bacteria as the Pro Bio S, pre-seeded, so minimal wait time for effectiveness. This should keep nitrates reasonably low.
20210404_080103.jpg

Final pic, is the skimmer I decided on, the Simplicity DC240. I believe this will be more than what I need, but I like that the pump is controllable, and the wedge pipe to further dial in.
20210404_075522.jpg

Final thoughts for today...
I will be converting my BRS CO2 scrubber into a fresh air reactor instead. I will place the same pre-filter mesh, and some carbon, in the reactor. This will be cleaned as needed, this way the airline outside can remain descrete, as the filter will be inside. I am leaving it open, so if anything comes in, it wont pass the filter inside. Simple maintenance every month or two should suffice.
More to come Wednesday!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is actually pretty sound, so I don't need to reinforce or waterproof, it's actually a pretty decent stand :) That said, I decided to hard plumb the system, instead of using rubber hosing from China, lol, nothing wrong with it, but I want this to be as good as possible :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Perry, no direct sunlight coming through that window, right? Light hitting the black back would build some heat that you would have to deal with.

Looking good!

Hey Scott!!!
Not even a ray of direct sunlight comes through that, or even ANY of my windows. If you google earth my address, you can't even see my home, 75% covered with trees. Regardless, the window faces north, so no direct light here, plus the vertical blinds will always be closed anyway. I like that it will be next to the window and front door, getting fresh air often. Still not sure about drawing fresh air.
Good news, found some Haitian live rock today, so hopefully transition begins Sunday, as 4" more scape height to build, plus 4" of depth, makes for what will be a single island bommie :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress being made!
My buddy Scott passed me about 15lbs of 10 year old rock from his system, he's thinning out, so I ended up with several corals too, probably 30-40 heads of rainbow cloves, 6x8" piece of green monti, show stopper chalice, 4" purple stylo, yumas, and several acros, including a pink Cadillac that's about 4".
I believe that I have all the rock I need, so next week, I will begin the transfer.
More to come :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress :)
Managed to pull most non encrusted frags to the frag rack, which is now full. This gives me more foundational rock to build my scape. At this point, I am pretty much where I need to be to get the scape right as far as the necessary rock. All rock is quite mature, but... I have aptasia getting pretty large and spreading, good news though, as I will add a file fish and CBB once my screen top arrives, so just have to deal with it for now. Fairly certain that I will transfer Sunday/Monday upcoming.
This week I will hang wires for light suspension, and work on electronics.
I am now getting excited, my plan is in place, so hopefully next week I can share a pic of the tank running :)
More to come :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping things pretty simple, no fancy rollers, monitors, or controllers here. Trying to keep wires clean, but way more organized than previous tank. Have a few errands to run, including a trip to Lowes to get celing mounts for the ATI. Most of the frag rack cleared, and pretty confident with my scape and coral placement. Should be able to get a few pics up later, but for now, a peak underneath the hood :)

20210426_072003.jpg

Back