Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all in for connecting tanks. My basement system is:
80 frag + 80 frag + 40B + 44 sump + 44 sump + 20sump
All linked together.

Practice the sales pitch and GLWS!

Already approved by the "boss" ;)
Good thing I have some new tools to help out with the job :) I will be giving the idea some deep thoughts, so we will see if I am truly up to the challenge.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I need to join in on all the fun here!

Glad you are with me, I appreciate your feedback and insight, thanks for following Tim :)
April 7th is my estimated delivery!

I have 100% decided that I will NOT be drilling a hole through the wall, and joining both tanks. I will do a complete transfer. While the idea sounds awesome, I want to focus on having one tank that gets my full attention. This is an exceptional opportunity to learn from years of mistakes, and do this one right, setting it up for future success.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ml dose this am of flourish, and my tank consumed more po4 than day before, test showed 0.05. Yesterday's test was prior to dose, it was 0.06, then dose, then this morning, post dose, 0.05. That said, I am going to reside with 2ml per day, do that for 3 days, and then look. All in all, most corals are looking fantastic, and taking off, of course a few smug ones, but fairly normal I suppose :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sparing no expense, lol, just ordered a Clearview Lids top for the tank. Fortunately, they have specs for the exact aquarium, and I added a couple cutouts just to be safe for cord management and a feed door.

My next purchase will be a skimmer that will overskim the tank, I am almost 100% on yhe Simplicity DC 240, which I feel will annihilate the water, I plan upwards of 20 fish, so I need power :)

Return pump will be sicce, they simply work, are quiet and last :) probably be the 4.0 version.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...
Mentally scaping, and while I love the 2 island look, I want the energy focused dead center, so a single reef bommie will be the design. The structure will be made to conceal the majority of the Overflow, building the rock work to a few inches past midpoint of the tank, which will be roughly 15-17" height. The single bommie will be surrounded by sand, as you would see naturally. I want at least 6" of sand in front of the bommie, and at least 4-6" on either side. I am not totally concerned over how the rock work looks per-se, as my intention is to cover it with acros!

Edit:
Building a cart at salty bottom right now for live sand and rock. Also a couple fish. They have the good living rock, and right here in FL.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...
Mentally scaping, and while I love the 2 island look, I want the energy focused dead center, so a single reef bommie will be the design. The structure will be made to conceal the majority of the Overflow, building the rock work to a few inches past midpoint of the tank, which will be roughly 15-17" height. The single bommie will be surrounded by sand, as you would see naturally. I want at least 6" of sand in front of the bommie, and at least 4-6" on either side. I am not totally concerned over how the rock work looks per-se, as my intention is to cover it with acros!

Edit:
Building a cart at salty bottom right now for live sand and rock. Also a couple fish. They have the good living rock, and right here in FL.

I think that is going to look great!! I agree, more rock equals more places for Acros! ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is going to look great!! I agree, more rock equals more places for Acros! ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thank you!
I am really looking forward to the design as well. The challenge will be the rocks with corals encrusted, it will be interesting indeed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of my history with Aquaforest and having tremendous success, I am planning on keeping the Probiotic method going, and that means continuing to use NP Pro and Pro Bio S as bacteria and carbon source. Simply put, my corals look better, and healthier.

That said, I ordered a square spaghetti basket, BPA free food grade to home 3 liters of AF Life Bio Fil, which will be in center chamberof sump, passive. It's basically pumice, seeded with Probiotic bacteria. This will give copious bacteria homing potential. I plan to run a clean sump, so I picked up a media cup as well, there I will put filter floss disposable mesh.
I also ordered the skimmer today, the Simplicity DC 240. Rated for 120 gallon heavy, I think it should pair nicely with my volume and intended bio-load. I decided to keep my current Tunze silence, and will give it a nuce citric acid bath, the pump is a tunze, nuff said.

So, 1 more order to make, but next week for 40lbs of live rock, and 40lbs of live sand. Shooting for a 3" sandbed. My debit card needs a rest, lol. I want this tank to be done proper, so making the investment to get everything as quality as possible :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where the tank will be going, it's going to look so good in front of this window! Will also be drilling a hole through window frame to make a port hole to draw fresh air----- maybe....lol

20210328_120458.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where the tank will be going, it's going to look so good in front of this window! Will also be drilling a hole through window frame to make a port hole to draw fresh air----- maybe....lol

20210328_120458.jpg

My external air supply to my skimmer is the Eheim 19/12 green tube, it would only need a small hole.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this build, as the tank is going in front of the window will you be painting the back of the tank?
When dose the tank arrive?
Many thanks justin

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this build, as the tank is going in front of the window will you be painting the back of the tank?
When dose the tank arrive?
Many thanks justin

Hey Justin,
Thanks for following the build :)
Here's a pic of the tank, I am certain it comes painted black standard. The system is set to arrive April 7th.
Cheers,
SCA-90GC-2.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love where this thread is going Perry!

Thanks Tim!
This all happened quickly, but I need to be as patient as possible. As you can see, I am trying to get this right, and built for acros and lots of fish, the lid is going to be really nice, and needed.
I also picked up 7lbs of CO2 scrubber media, and will design a system to draw fresh air into the intake of the reactor, which will obviously be connected to skimmer air intake.
I have always had crazy respect for Chris Meckley from ACI, his recent interview with Reefbum was definitely worth the 2 hours plus, lol. He emphasized ph as being the parameter worth chasing, essentially the building block to reefing.
Living in Florida with AC nearly year round poses issues with ph, so tons of thought went in to the location of the tank. Again, my chance to get things proper, from the start :)

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tim!
This all happened quickly, but I need to be as patient as possible. As you can see, I am trying to get this right, and built for acros and lots of fish, the lid is going to be really nice, and needed.
I also picked up 7lbs of CO2 scrubber media, and will design a system to draw fresh air into the intake of the reactor, which will obviously be connected to skimmer air intake.
I have always had crazy respect for Chris Meckley from ACI, his recent interview with Reefbum was definitely worth the 2 hours plus, lol. He emphasized ph as being the parameter worth chasing, essentially the building block to reefing.
Living in Florida with AC nearly year round poses issues with ph, so tons of thought went in to the location of the tank. Again, my chance to get things proper, from the start :)
I'm right there with you Perry I actually just watched that one also. I've been following a sodium hydroxide thread for some time on here too. I live in an apartment for the next 15 months so I won't go drilling any holes through the walls but may just resort to using kalk instead.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right there with you Perry I actually just watched that one also. I've been following a sodium hydroxide thread for some time on here too. I live in an apartment for the next 15 months so I won't go drilling any holes through the walls but may just resort to using kalk instead.

Hey Tim,
I never really cared about PH until dead rock, for whatever reason, I think the rock, when dry, is open and available to whatever, carbonic acid, po4, bacteria, or whatever. I do believe in modern reefing, ph is quite important, probably why so many monitor it. That said, I am positive my current location of the tank is inferior to O2 suppression. A scrubber works, but requires maintenance. The idea of fresh air seems to be the solution. I will also be keeping plants around the tank, as an experiment for CO2 absorption and O2 replenishment. Sand will also stabilize.
Agreed, the interview was worth the watch :)

Back