Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,
I always re-charge gfo when seeing some slight green haze, then it fades away within a day.

Got the Aqua UV 25 watt last October, it has been a winner.

Nitrates hit close to 40ppm last year:
Ran about 10 liters of Siporax, and dosed the reef with MB-7 for the first week for seeding the Siporax. The Siporax started to bring down nitrates real fast after about six weeks. Over the long haul, it started a continuous diatom out break. The diatoms were still going strong way after changing out all filtration components on my RO/DI unit, wanted to rule that factor out. Was also going through a ton of gfo. Pulled the Siporax media and all the diatoms faded away, while gfo started lasting longer like it used to. I guess this batch Siporax kept leaching silicates. Then after a while nitrates got pretty high again. Put back in 2 liters of Siporax, looked good at first, but over time the same thing happened. So yanked out the remaining Siporax last weekend for various reasons. Lol, all the time that was put into making custom-sized egg crate boxes for the pond-sized Siporax. Every reef is different, it had to be pulled out for diatoms over here.

Trying to get away from gfo and other media. Got the Pax Bellum ARID N18 coming in today via FedEX (lol, no room for a fuge). Need to let this reef stable out for a while longer, then we'll kick in that reactor.

Have not pushed algae for filtration since the 1980's.
Lol, we grew gha back then in a saltwater tank in the Nashville area. But, learned how to drill a tank, with the algae growing in a lower tank from some California friends. Guess that was the beginning of sumps.

Any tips with the algae reactor from anyone on this thread would be appreciated.

Freddie,
Look to your skimmer, mine destroys N03, it's rated for 120g heavy, and running on a medium bioload 90g. That said, the opposite issue. I am running opposite photo period of DT with a few sprouts of mexicana calupera and rock rubble, in middle chamber of the sump, but mainly to stabilize ph. Look at video archives of Coral Euphoria on YouTube, he uses a black bucket with lid and puts in sump and grows chaeto that way. I will try and find and attach when I get some free time.
As far as biomedia is concerned, I have heard that about siporax. Some recommend soaking in RODI for weeks before use, but I haven't used it in years. I found AF media to really kbock down N03, but actually too effective for my system. So, due to problematic algaes in this system, I decided to give UV a try, and discontinue all forms of bacteria/ carbon source dosing. While the coral colors seem enhanced, it's just not worth the funky stuff popping up. Something bacterial wise is amiss, this was my reasoning for going UV. It's taken a few days, but I am seeing dinos fading away. It seems that they are slowly dying, something I have been observing :) I am planning a good water change for tomorrow.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your "funk" is ostreopsis dinoflagellates you will likely be pleased. If it is chrysophyte stuff or amphidinium then less so. Still, a UV has a place for pest control.

Got a microscope for ID on the gunk?

Hi Scott,
No micro scope ID, but can tell you that the dinos are fading out, everyday just a bit better. The sand is free, and the power head they live showed significant decrease yesterday. Strands are turning white, but appears that hair algae is popping up in its decline. So I am 100% certain that P04 is present, and this is why I am monitoring acro health instead of testing nutrients. Acros look amazing, so just have to deal with the funk. I haven't water changed in a while, like 6 weeks, so well overdue for a sizable one. AF mixes exactly where I keep alkalinity, so a significant one won't interfere with chemistry.
I think the UV is working, the water looks super clear, and again, seeing dinos fading, I would say 80% reduction since installing. I didn't have epic outbreak, so I never really cared much, and glad I stayed relaxed, no knee jerk reactions, and that's new for me, lol :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
UV has been running since Wednesday last week, so 5 days now. Making no additional changes, and without water change, or manual intervention, I am seeing some promising things :)
1. Zoa and clove polyps, opening up, they were only corals effected by dino strands, and have been dreary for weeks.
2. Dinos on Overflow receeding, and those on back glass turning white.
3. Rockwork fairly clean, 2 urchins working overtime.
4. Sandbed nearly dino free, and my conchs and cucumbers hard at work.
5. Sps corals are not aware of the above issues and growing snd colorful.

So, today I will change rodi filters, and plan a 20 gallon water change. I need to scrape, brush, and really dig in to a deep cleaning, that I am dreading. I will try to also siphon off some bubble algae. Anyway, I am very pleased with UV, I may just keep it running full-time, that and keep things as basic as possible. I use ESV carbon in a mesh bag, and that's it, skimmer, middle chamber in sump refugium. Feeding frozen daily, with supplement of reef roids every other day, opposite day using oyster eggs. I kill the return pump and skimmer during feeding, and keep that way for a half hour to an hour. I also feed between 4pm- 5pm daily without fail, my fish totally know when the dinner bell is about to ring :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July FTS :)

20210719_112351.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
UV has been running since Wednesday last week, so 5 days now. Making no additional changes, and without water change, or manual intervention, I am seeing some promising things :)
1. Zoa and clove polyps, opening up, they were only corals effected by dino strands, and have been dreary for weeks.
2. Dinos on Overflow receeding, and those on back glass turning white.
3. Rockwork fairly clean, 2 urchins working overtime.
4. Sandbed nearly dino free, and my conchs and cucumbers hard at work.
5. Sps corals are not aware of the above issues and growing snd colorful.

So, today I will change rodi filters, and plan a 20 gallon water change. I need to scrape, brush, and really dig in to a deep cleaning, that I am dreading. I will try to also siphon off some bubble algae. Anyway, I am very pleased with UV, I may just keep it running full-time, that and keep things as basic as possible. I use ESV carbon in a mesh bag, and that's it, skimmer, middle chamber in sump refugium. Feeding frozen daily, with supplement of reef roids every other day, opposite day using oyster eggs. I kill the return pump and skimmer during feeding, and keep that way for a half hour to an hour. I also feed between 4pm- 5pm daily without fail, my fish totally know when the dinner bell is about to ring :)
Don't be surprised if your cleaning and WC gives you a little rebound with the dinos. "Fresh" surface and new water -- if overdone -- can inspire them.

Acros looking grand and that is what really matters.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be surprised if your cleaning and WC gives you a little rebound with the dinos. "Fresh" surface and new water -- if overdone -- can inspire them.

Acros looking grand and that is what really matters.

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the kind words!
I decided against the water change, as I think it would cause the very issues you speak of. I am going to wait until I am 100% clear, then begin routine water changes weekly. Seeing every zoa/paly polyp as well as cloves tells me something is turning around. The cleaning was time consuming and tiring, but needed :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may interest you, @ScottB
I decided after all that scraping, brushing, and cleaning to run a few tests, for the heck of it. I haven't tested anything but alk in a few weeks.
N03- 0.02ppm, maybe zero, I couldn't really see any hint of pink. P04- 0.06ppm. So, I am really fine right here, funny thing is that I kept dosing, then plummeting, then dinos and other nasties took off. So, I guess I need to feed a bit heavier, and looks like daily oyster eggs and every other day reef roids. I do think colors are slightly pastelling, so maybe dose N03? Still kind of weary about fueling the nasties ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooo things are growing out nicely Perry!
Hey Tim,
I have to be honest here, while I have been content with corals, the plaguing nasties were demotivating, that and working 6 days a week, lol. I am usually fairly confident, and most definitely meticulous and borderline ocd, when it comes to reefing. Aesthetics, clean glass, balance of colors, growth patterns, and a colorful spread is what I strive for. So, finally doing a cleaning inspired me, and seeing the effectiveness of UV has given me more confidence.
It's really cool to have grown these corals from frags, and seeing the vision unfold is really nice. Growth is taking off, so the Bommie doesn't just look like a pile of rocks, I knew this wouldn't be a conventional/modern approach, as negative space seems the trend. The Bommie was inspired on the tanks footprint, and I have always wanted this exact theme/project. So, give this another 6 months, and those viewing will see the ultimate vision, here's to hoping ;)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim,
I have to be honest here, while I have been content with corals, the plaguing nasties were demotivating, that and working 6 days a week, lol. I am usually fairly confident, and most definitely meticulous and borderline ocd, when it comes to reefing. Aesthetics, clean glass, balance of colors, growth patterns, and a colorful spread is what I strive for. So, finally doing a cleaning inspired me, and seeing the effectiveness of UV has given me more confidence.
It's really cool to have grown these corals from frags, and seeing the vision unfold is really nice. Growth is taking off, so the Bommie doesn't just look like a pile of rocks, I knew this wouldn't be a conventional/modern approach, as negative space seems the trend. The Bommie was inspired on the tanks footprint, and I have always wanted this exact theme/project. So, give this another 6 months, and those viewing will see the ultimate vision, here's to hoping ;)
Oh it will come!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks great, Perry... ;Woot ;Woot

Just a heads up:
After 9 months, replaced the 25 watt UV bulb yesterday, so took the time to pull the outer glass tube. Glad that I did, it had heat precept build up on the water contact side of the outer glass tube. Was pretty much opaque... ;Wideyed

Came off fairly easy by wetting the glass tube with cleaning vinagar, then using a glass scrubby about 5 min. later.

Lol, going to need to check that more often... :D

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a heads up:
After 9 months, replaced the 25 watt UV bulb yesterday, so took the time to pull the outer glass tube. Glad that I did, it had heat precept build up on the water contact side of the outer glass tube. Was pretty much opaque... ;Wideyed

Came off fairly easy by wetting the glass tube with cleaning vinagar, then using a glass scrubby about 5 min. later.

Agree this 100%. I had a baked on brown/rust layer after only 3-4 months of use. I have to believe my case was an extreme though as I run the water very slow at <300gph to make sure those dinos cook fully.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a heads up:

Hey Freddie, thanks for the heads up my friend, looks like another quarterly calendar reminder will be added into the others, lol ;) I appreciate the compliment as well ;)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the good news is that nasties are fading, and glass maintenance is too. After a week of cleaning glass and wave pumps, the residual buildup is not nearly what it was. Hair algae is forming, so maintenance in the reef with water changes will begin weekly, I am well overdue. All in all, the reef is starting to settle, more to come :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little eye candy ;)
Fox Flame completely rebounded, throwing new branches, and getting that sweet red base with neon tips. One of my favorites, and it has had 2 separate times where it shut down on me and necrosed. It's one of those canary corals for alk.

20210726_114003.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the grind :)
My only day off, yesterday, I was able to clean the reef, change rodi filters, and do a 20 gallon water change. I siphoned off bubble algae, so I suspect that will impact nutrients. I am going to do 5 gallon weekly water changes moving forward, each time removing a little bit of algae.
Good news, the file fish is growing up, and has taken a liking to aptasia. I have held off using aptasia x, as the tank has been wopmy, no need to add any further stress. Although it's unsightly, eventually, I will clear the rock of pests, as well as algae. Each week, the tank will get cleaner, and if the file fish doesn't get the visible aptasia, then I will intervene. Have a great week everyone!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back