Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So today I picked up a 20gallon standard to move all non sps out. I also got a deal on some live rock with shrooms all over it, and will place that in the 20 as well. It's a very simple tank, and should be perfect for my shroom addiction, lol. So, that means I am converting the main tank to full board sps... Now that's what I am talking about!
Sweet!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I moved out all non sps corals to their new home. Transfer smooth, given I used live sand, rock from my tank, and water, I do not anticipate a normal cycle, like on a new tank. This forced a new scape, I also leveled the sand, and went with a 2 island design. Rocks are deeper in the tank, so this will allow me to drop the lights and achieve even par throughout the tank with no high spot or liw spots. The tank is a bit dirty from shuffling sand, and moving rock. I am in a major need of maintenance, but done for today :) Will post up a pic soon :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the layout, pardon the cloudiness and some hair algae, lol. Also have 6 pack of frags arriving tomorrow.

20200928_115741.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Still sort of moving things around. I have opened up flow to max, and added another powerhead and its maxed. Crush xoral not moving, but hair algae should break soon, also put another 10lbs of rock from display to the fuge. It's even more minimal than above pic. More to come soon :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the layout, pardon the cloudiness and some hair algae, lol. Also have 6 pack of frags arriving tomorrow.

20200928_115741.jpg
Perry I'm curious what do you have for fish? I see the clowns of course.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang,
@UFreefer
Nearly filled up my frag rack :)
9 more acros and a nauti spiral monti just arrived, and everything made it and instantly show PE!
BCRed, BC backdraft, RMF Red Devil nasuta, Paletta Pink tip, BC SC, ASD Rainbow Milli, UF Snowy D, Sniper SPS bubblegum milli, UF Granny

20201001_152901.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some updates.
Nothing has changed since the restart of the tank with acros. Daily using AF Probiotic bacteria at 3 drops, AF liquid polymer which is carbon source(np pro) 3 drops. 2 ml KZ Flatworm Stop, 1ml KZ Pohls Extra, and every other day, AF Build at 3 drops. Fish are fed once per day with frozen foods.
I have dealt with tuffs of hair algae, it persists, but manual removal weekly, I suspect the fuge and acros will dominate for nutrients at some point and starve it out over time. The fuge is teeming with life, the stomatellas, mysis, isopods, copepods, micro stars, limpets all thriving.
My back glass was scraped today, and nearly covered in coraline, just scraped a month ago, so it's becoming a pita! A good problem to have I guess, but do not want a coraline back drop, takes away from a super clean look, and that's important to me, lol.
Not sure about nutrients, my method is coloring corals nicely, they are all polyped out 24/7.
Later on I am going to get some more pics up, especially some of the new ones.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the grow out process Perry! Nice work!

Thanks Tim!
Finally feel more settled about things with the tank, and direction :) I am happy to crank up the flow, and have my shrooms relocated to their own tank. They too are benefiting, and are much happier. I feel that this setup is closer to what I like to see, aesthetics are quite important to me, and hopefully the coral shapes and colors are mixed proper, time will tell :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap Perry that's an awesome turnaround!
Tim,
I found this dying coral in the spot, you know, we all have that spot where we toss dead corals, lol. It just didn’t quit :) As the new ones were showing good signs, this one slowly recovered, heck, it looks better than when I originally bought it :)
Hard to believe it's the same piece.
20200615_153248.jpg

Back