Perry's Shallow Water Acro Dominant Build Thread

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you given any thought to dosing Rubidium? I've recently started the reef moonshiners program and things are definitely improving. I also like how simple it is to follow and doesn't have system requirements.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to dosing Rubidium? I've recently started the reef moonshiners program and things are definitely improving. I also like how simple it is to follow and doesn't have system requirements.
I haven't researched, but will now ;)
Just using "what I see" as my guide. I know and completely understand AF, not today's topic, but feel comfortable with using their Probiotic system. KZ FWS is to increase slime coat, therefore aiding in tissue production, something amiss thus far in my system. KZ Pohls Extra Special is that punch that stimulate pe, not a bad thing. So far, this cocktail is working. I know something was missing or devoid within my system, somewhere things fell into place, I just want to stay there, lol.
Cheers

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't researched, but will now ;)
Just using "what I see" as my guide. I know and completely understand AF, not today's topic, but feel comfortable with using their Probiotic system. KZ FWS is to increase slime coat, therefore aiding in tissue production, something amiss thus far in my system. KZ Pohls Extra Special is that punch that stimulate pe, not a bad thing. So far, this cocktail is working. I know something was missing or devoid within my system, somewhere things fell into place, I just want to stay there, lol.
Cheers
I know what you mean, once something is clicking, then you keep going in that direction. I think bacteria, good and bad, were the issues in my new tank and it took about 2 1/2 years before things started to click. Not having ocean fresh live rock certainly has taken its toll on tanks these days, but we're getting closer to figuring out a strategy that's consistent and works.
I'm glad your heading in the right direction and wish you continued success!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, once something is clicking, then you keep going in that direction. I think bacteria, good and bad, were the issues in my new tank and it took about 2 1/2 years before things started to click. Not having ocean fresh live rock certainly has taken its toll on tanks these days, but we're getting closer to figuring out a strategy that's consistent and works.
I'm glad your heading in the right direction and wish you continued success!

So yeah I followed Andre on FB when he was launching his product, which is Rubidium/Moonshiners program. Concept very similar to systems targeting certain trace to enhance colors. Probably a cool product line :) I am no longer on FB, so I lost touch with his system, but did some research last night. Seems good to me! I had no expectation of keeping sps in my system, kind of gave up on them. That said, I have been collecting lots of shrooms and some RFA's, so at a crossroad... I am getting ready to redo my sps system and start a nano/20 gallon system specifically for my soft corals. If this happens, I will load up main system with several more sps, so time will tell. In the meantime, I am enjoying seeing some results, and all corals are thriving, but, I know flow will eventually become an issue for my shrooms, as they love low flow. More to come :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there been awhile, i see you haven't given up, the last time I stepped in you were thinking LPS:D. Thats were I am,
I have one bonzi acro thats not complaining, maybe this fall when I have more time. Glad to see things coming around.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So yeah I followed Andre on FB when he was launching his product, which is Rubidium/Moonshiners program. Concept very similar to systems targeting certain trace to enhance colors. Probably a cool product line :) I am no longer on FB, so I lost touch with his system, but did some research last night. Seems good to me! I had no expectation of keeping sps in my system, kind of gave up on them. That said, I have been collecting lots of shrooms and some RFA's, so at a crossroad... I am getting ready to redo my sps system and start a nano/20 gallon system specifically for my soft corals. If this happens, I will load up main system with several more sps, so time will tell. In the meantime, I am enjoying seeing some results, and all corals are thriving, but, I know flow will eventually become an issue for my shrooms, as they love low flow. More to come :)
Honestly, I think his method would work for any type of tank and it's super easy to follow. Sometimes our tanks take us in directions we didn't even think of, but that's the fun part. Go with the flow! Cheers!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there been awhile, i see you haven't given up, the last time I stepped in you were thinking LPS:D. Thats were I am,
I have one bonzi acro thats not complaining, maybe this fall when I have more time. Glad to see things coming around.

Old school Banzai, what a beautiful coral when it colors up to and beyond lineage, hard to compete with. My tri-color valida is another example. Not a sought after piece, but in the right conditions with whiter lighting, is simply love! Only piece that is bringing color issues is miyagi, but it's getting blasted with light, so gonna be a minute on that one. This whole thing was an accident, but, when someone has bone cutters in hand, is popping off chunks, you have to oblige :) I guess we will see what happens, lol :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think his method would work for any type of tank and it's super easy to follow. Sometimes our tanks take us in directions we didn't even think of, but that's the fun part. Go with the flow! Cheers!

My success and failures can likely be linked to my philosophy of sps keeping, my eyes. I do not care for bells and whistles, I have never had a ph test kit or monitor, albeit, with modern reefing, maybe a bit more important, I run a Scrubber, cause we, family of 4 dwell there. I really rely on indicators in the tank, currently, its working, so not trying anything crazy, lol, at least right now, at this moment!!! Lol :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be fun...

Acro when I got it:
20200615_153248.jpg

Acro presumed dead, at near death:
20200809_115643.jpg

Pic taken today, I see increased tissue, and more polyps:
20200818_182412.jpg

I wanted to update a photo taken today of this piece. Seems to be recovering, a great sign!

20200827_141938.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200803_174515.jpg
20200812_165746.jpg

First picture 1 in the tank.
2nd picture 10 days later. Look to the tips to show color transition. Base getting lighter as red concentrates to coralite. Might be fun to keep progressing pics. This one came from hydra/t5 retro system. This one sits 8" depth from water line, fixture is 18" above water line. 6 t5 with 3 blue+, 2 coral+, 1 Actinic+. Mounted to front is sb reefbar actinic 36" running 100%
Thanks for stopping by :)

Lighting now 12" above water. I tagged this post to show what this beauty is doing. Cheers!

20200906_122316.jpg

Back