Persistent bacterial bloom???

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run some carbon as Salty suggested and see if it doesn't help. Doesn't have to be a forever thing but it may help.

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: ive read that adding some good bacterial like microbacter7 can help reduce the baterial bloom. Should I give it a shot?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so. I generally don't reccomend it , but I have never done it.

The science is,please correct me anyone , the cloud Is a lot of bacteria. For some reason there's a source feeding the bacteria. So adding more bacteria to that sounds strange. It's possible the diverse competition would eatsbup the carbon or ammonia source and it would pass maybe faster. But I would assume it would still be cloudy for a time from a second bloom

Dunno honestly.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think so. I generally don't reccomend it , but I have never done it.

The science is,please correct me anyone , the cloud Is a lot of bacteria. For some reason there's a source feeding the bacteria. So adding more bacteria to that sounds strange. It's possible the diverse competition would eatsbup the carbon or ammonia source and it would pass maybe faster. But I would assume it would still be cloudy for a time from a second bloom

Dunno honestly.
I've never heard of it working, but the concept is that you can introduce a better strain of bacteria to out compete the bad strain assuming the bad strain is breaking down and feeding itself. The good bacteria would break that cycle.

I don't see any harm in trying it, but I wouldn't hold out high hopes of it working.

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of it working, but the concept is that you can introduce a better strain of bacteria to out compete the bad strain assuming the bad strain is breaking down and feeding itself. The good bacteria would break that cycle.

I don't see any harm in trying it, but I wouldn't hold out high hopes of it working.
That's the theory from what I read online, but I just ordered a small bottle just to give it a shot. But my last resort will probably be setting a UV Sterilizer if I can find a good used one

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vaping around the tank is interesting...i had a 40b inside a vape shop and there were clouds everywhere. But the tank did wonderful and clear.
Did you run a skimmer on the system?

Whitenoise3k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently went through this. I believe it was humic waste that is causing the cloudiness not bacteria. What solved it for me was wet skimming very very wet skimming. I hooked up a gallon jug to my skimmer and pulled about a half a gallon in one day do this for a few days. While doing this use seachem clarity. When you use this stuff it works quick it will clog your socks quickly you'll have to change you socks probably once a day. It's important you have some good filter socks though... 100 micron is what I used. I dosed the clarity everyday for 3 days at the recommended dose. After 3 days turn your skimmer down a bit but still skim wet. You should see that your tank has become drastically more clear after 3 days and will continue over the next week. After that continue regular skimming after cloudiness is gone.

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had a bacterial bloom in my tank (tank had been running for over 2 years), I would keep a close eye on it.
Since for me it started a chain of events, resulting in a tank crash..

I do not want to scare you, and since your tank is a fairly new set up, I assume it is part of your cycling process.

Jdgreef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 months as well. No skimmer. I saw the exact same type of haze after trying to resolve some high nitrates. 40ppm prompted a 35% WC and replaced my mesh pouch of carbon with two rinsed chemipure blue nano pouches. Nitrates went from 40 to 20 in a day. Removed my filter floss and just playing the waiting game as well.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had a bacterial bloom in my tank (tank had been running for over 2 years), I would keep a close eye on it.
Since for me it started a chain of events, resulting in a tank crash..

I do not want to scare you, and since your tank is a fairly new set up, I assume it is part of your cycling process.

Finally someone said it. I'm a little disappointed with all the long time members chimming in. And no one asked how the tank was cycled and how fast was it stocked.

To me this problem screamed "Cycle Issue". And I would also guess that the tank was stocked to quickly. A 2 month old tank should have only about 2-3 fish (depending on factors ).
Another thing that jumped out at me was the "dosing". At 2months having to dose Alk and Cal is unusual. ( again depending on factors, such as stock levels )
Maybe I'm way off, but thats how it appeared to me with the info given. Good news is it will eventualy clear itself up, but a few losses might be had.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally someone said it. I'm a little disappointed with all the long time members chimming in. And no one asked how the tank was cycled and how fast was it stocked.

To me this problem screamed "Cycle Issue". And I would also guess that the tank was stocked to quickly. A 2 month old tank should have only about 2-3 fish (depending on factors ).
Another thing that jumped out at me was the "dosing". At 2months having to dose Alk and Cal is unusual. ( again depending on factors, such as stock levels )
Maybe I'm way off, but thats how it appeared to me with the info given. Good news is it will eventualy clear itself up, but a few losses might be had.
According to his build thread he added 4 fairly small fish around week 3 along with some decent size corals from his 50g system. Nothing about that would suggest dosing alk and calc as unusual or that the tank was overstocked early.
What cycle issue do you believe will cause a water borne bacterial bloom?

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a update to the tank, it has cleared up significantly. I didn't do anything special other some water changes and just waiting it out. I did lose a few fish but I kinda expected that to happen. But I still don't have a definite answer to the "bacterial bloom" that happened. Maybe I did add fish too quickly? I'm not sure.

Brandy Hiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same prob. For weeks I couldn't figure out what it was. Turns out it was the sand I used (cheap stuff I dunno it was given to me). For whatever reason it kicks up miscropic particles when moved, FOR WEEKS. Looks like a white haze but it's not a bacterial bloom. It actually never settled i disassembled the tank and put in an under gravel filter. Never had a prob again.

Also in my reef tank I had a massive algae bloom. I dosed with Seachem Stability and was gone in 30 mins (that stuff is amazing)... Hope this helps

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to his build thread he added 4 fairly small fish around week 3 along with some decent size corals from his 50g system. Nothing about that would suggest dosing alk and calc as unusual or that the tank was overstocked early.
What cycle issue do you believe will cause a water borne bacterial bloom?
I don't know. Look up heterotrophic bloom.
I just couldn't understand why everyone jumped to conclusions like burning candles, leaching silicone, and vaping.
When all was said and done, sure sounded like a mini cycle to me.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 100 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back