Persistent bacterial bloom???

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a new tank for about 2 months now, my tank has never been crystal clear like my previous tank. I started with dry sand and dry rock for this tank and its been a little cloudy. Some days will look clearer than others. Got my skimmer and running carbon and it helps a bit. Also when I turn off my skimmer, I get a gooey stuff on the water surface in my return chamber in my sump. Also not carbon dosing either so I'm not sure how long this will last. All fish and the corals I do have are doing well. Should I just wait longer?? Do a water change?? Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How foggy is it? It could just be sand getting blown up. I wouldnt worry about it. A skimmer would remove it

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How foggy is it? It could just be sand getting blown up. I wouldnt worry about it. A skimmer would remove it
It's not foggy, it's just a bit hazy if that sounds right. It's not too bad looking in the front, it's more hazy from the side view.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not foggy, it's just a bit hazy if that sounds right. It's not too bad looking in the front, it's more hazy from the side view.

Shouldnt be a problem. Is the tank new? Or sump? Its possible acetic acid from silicone is leeching causing a bloom.

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldnt be a problem. Is the tank new? Or sump? Its possible acetic acid from silicone is leeching causing a bloom.
Yes it's 2 months old, everything brand new. Didn't have this problem on my old tank, so I just think it's weird

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's 2 months old, everything brand new. Didn't have this problem on my old tank, so I just think it's weird

Whatever the cause it shouldt last much longer

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't started using air fresheners, burning candles, or brewing beer since you last had a tank set up, have you?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused
Many air fresheners and candles use alcohol or petroleum products to help spread the scents. Brewing beer also puts a surprising amount of alcohol into the air. Carpet cleaning is another common source of airborne carbon.
This carbon get into tanks and causes bacteria blooms.

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many air fresheners and candles use alcohol or petroleum products to help spread the scents. Brewing beer also puts a surprising amount of alcohol into the air. Carpet cleaning is another common source of airborne carbon.
This carbon get into tanks and causes bacteria blooms.
Nope, but there were times before where my wife used air fresheners and it didn't cause any tank cloudiness.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, but there were times before where my wife used air fresheners and it didn't cause any tank cloudiness.
Hmmm..... new wood furniture or newly finished wood floors will also cause something similar.

Are you dosing anything other than Alk/Calc products?

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..... new wood furniture or newly finished wood floors will also cause something similar.

Are you dosing anything other than Alk/Calc products?
Nope, just dosing alk and cal. Would zero nitrates and zero phoshate have anything to do with it?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, just dosing alk and cal. Would zero nitrates and zero phoshate have anything to do with it?
I would call that a symptom of the bacteria bloom, not the cause. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss at this point as to what the carbon source could be to fuel this long of a bacteria bloom. Maybe soaking your rocks in concentrated vinegar?

Let's get more eyes on this. #reefsquad

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brewing beer also puts a surprising amount of alcohol into the air.
Tragic really.

If you've stooped and eliminated all the sources Brew mentioned then is should pass if its bacterial.
The only slightly speedier ways(and dont always work), are a bag of carbon on the return pump(or reactor), Uv steriliser, Polishing Floss over the return pump.

Nope, just dosing alk and cal.
With a two part? Whats your alk/cal at now?

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call that a symptom of the bacteria bloom, not the cause. Unfortunately, I'm at a loss at this point as to what the carbon source could be to fuel this long of a bacteria bloom. Maybe soaking your rocks in concentrated vinegar?

Let's get more eyes on this. #reefsquad
Yea I'm lost too. It's just weird that it's lasting this long. Just a waiting game now...

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic really.

If you've stooped and eliminated all the sources Brew mentioned then is should pass if its bacterial.
The only slightly speedier ways(and dont always work), are a bag of carbon on the return pump(or reactor), Uv steriliser, Polishing Floss over the return pump.

With a two part? Whats your alk/cal at now?
All is around 7, cal is around 450 last checked, and mag is 1500-1600.

I've wanted to try a uv sterilizer but they're pretty expensive

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is around 7, cal is around 450 last checked, and mag is 1500-1600.

I've wanted to try a uv sterilizer but they're pretty expensive
Yea most opt for wait time. If you've eliminated all the other sources listed it should pass.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it popped into my head but vaping around a tank can do the same thing. 3 or 4 months ago a member had switched from smoking outside to vaping by his tank and had a prolonged bacteria bloom because of it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it popped into my head but vaping around a tank can do the same thing. 3 or 4 months ago a member had switched from smoking outside to vaping by his tank and had a prolonged bacteria bloom because of it.
Ive always suspected it as a possibility, but few have ever admitted to it when asked.

Not a judgment , just a cloudy tank question..

OP
OP
kazikage42

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I dont smoke or vape. Gonna give it few more weeks but it needs to move along now

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back