Pest ID?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Triggreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
4,955
Reaction score
2,796
Location
East Hampton, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see this? It came off a monti frag prior to even dipping it so I was able to get the creepy thing separated alive and unharmed. It looks like a spider. I tried to get the best pic I could but its so tiny. Even with a macro lens you can barely see it. When it was free floating it closed up all its legs like a spider would and opened and closed them. It was creepy. I've seen pics of spider like pests but without the magnification I can't tell if its the same. I was able to count 8 legs.

IMG_4643_zpsb9c04542.jpg
 
Yes this is a sea spider. They can be bad news for SPS. Get rid of it and keep an eye out for others.
 
Certainly some sort of sea spider; there are lots of different species and most all eat coral of one type or another.

As they're a crustacean, any of the normal treatments for red bugs should work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new