Pest ID

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found those creatures in my nano all over the rocks..each is like 2mm in length. Any idea what they are?

Let me know please..a bit concerned.

Thanks

20201221_120311.jpg 20201221_120311.jpg

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty little buggers and a pain to get rid of. I had an outbreak in a 20 gallon nano back in the day and it took some persistence to get rid of them. I initially bought a sixline wrasse thinking it would help but it didn't do too much damage to the population. Removed all my corals, dipped, scrubbed them and put them in a separate holding tank. I siphoned every flatworm I could find and dosed Flatworm Exit to the tank. They release a toxin when they die so it is important to get as many as you can out of the tank before dosing. I ran carbon then did a heavy water change and repeated the dosing a few days later. Eventually, I was flatworm free. Been dipping and quarantining ever since ;).

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty little buggers and a pain to get rid of. I had an outbreak in a 20 gallon nano back in the day and it took some persistence to get rid of them. I initially bought a sixline wrasse thinking it would help but it didn't do too much damage to the population. Removed all my corals, dipped, scrubbed them and put them in a separate holding tank. I siphoned every flatworm I could find and dosed Flatworm Exit to the tank. They release a toxin when they die so it is important to get as many as you can out of the tank before dosing. I ran carbon then did a heavy water change and repeated the dosing a few days later. Eventually, I was flatworm free. Been dipping and quarantining ever since ;).
Thanks for your feedback, i read that thread.
So here is the plan and tell me your thoughts.
This tank has mostly nems only.
1. I will remove all the rockwork in the tank and put the nems in baskets
2. will wash ALL the liverock (except medial balls in the back chamber) with fresh water in the shower and let it air dry for a week or so
3. Buy a sixline wrasse or something
4. reintroduce the rocks after a week or so

How does that work?
let me know
thanks

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're on the right path. I didn't like my six line wrasse much as he got pretty aggressive towards the goby and clowns I had at the time and eventually sent him packing. Depending on your tank size I think something like a Melanurus would be a better choice. Keep in mind that the flat worms produce asexually and even just one left behind can still pose a problem so be as aggressive as you can with treatment.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I changed the plan a little bit.
i tried to siphon a lot of them today
Just got a corris wrasse and yellow flanked (i know the flanked does not do much)
Will wait a few days before taking out the rocks (as this is much complicated than it looks).
will post updates here.

OP
OP
Lovefish77

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphoning out not working. Coris wraps jumped even with the lid on. Any other fish can help? Like a sixline wrasse or a dtagonette?

Back