Pest on Torch

Brant W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspected one of my torch corals today and noticed whatever this is on it. Could be eggs, brown jelly, or something else. Hoping yall could help me ID it. I did dip it after I noticed and a large portion on the side came off just not the egg looking things closer to the flesh.

IMG_4617.jpeg IMG_4618.jpeg

OP
OP
Brant W

Brant W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics after Dip

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4624.jpeg
    IMG_4624.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 27

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From want i see that's a damaged torch with mesenterial filaments out (digestive stinging cells deployed for defense, stress or feeding, the white stringy parts) and I may see some euphyllia-eating flatworms that would need to be taken care of

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspected one of my torch corals today and noticed whatever this is on it. Could be eggs, brown jelly, or something else. Hoping yall could help me ID it. I did dip it after I noticed and a large portion on the side came off just not the egg looking things closer to the flesh.

IMG_4617.jpeg IMG_4618.jpeg
That's a very sick torch (and not in the good way).

OP
OP
Brant W

Brant W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From want i see that's a damaged torch with mesenterial filaments out (digestive stinging cells deployed for defense, stress or feeding, the white stringy parts) and I may see some euphyllia-eating flatworms that would need to be taken care of
okay thank you. Should i just keep dipping and blowing off what I can every week or so?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thank you. Should i just keep dipping and blowing off what I can every week or so?
Yes, dip every week or two for 2-2 1/2 months. Do not blow them off in the tank as they can land on other euphyllia. The repetitive dips are to kill the newly hatched individuals as the eggs are unaffected by the dip, also scrape off any visible eggs in the dip

OP
OP
Brant W

Brant W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, dip every week or two for 2-2 1/2 months. Do not blow them off in the tank as they can land on other euphyllia. The repetitive dips are to kill the newly hatched individuals as the eggs are unaffected by the dip, also scrape off any visible eggs in the dip
Okay thank you. Are these the cells deployed for defense or a lot of flatworms?

Attachments

• IMG_4628.jpeg
    IMG_4628.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 23

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filaments are often deployed when the coral is damaged, stressed or under attack. I've also observed them being deployed for feeding but this is definitely not it. They can also be deployed to sting neighboring corals and clear space to grow (again, not what this is) If they came off when shaken in the dip they are flatworms and would be the worst infestation I've personally seen.

OP
OP
Brant W

Brant W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though most importantly did they fall off when shaken in the dip solution?
The flatworms you circled did fall off but not the filaments I believe, I also used a baster and they didn’t come off. I will keep eyes on it and dip it weekly. Hopefully it will recover

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flatworms you circled did fall off but not the filaments I believe, I also used a baster and they didn’t come off. I will keep eyes on it and dip it weekly. Hopefully it will recover
Then they are thankfully filaments. Consistent weekly or bi-weekly dips for 2-3 months will solve the flatworm problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back