Petco is Closing Drs. Foster & Smith

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have heard by now but I have some of my own ideas why they are closing. Comment if you have some additional thoughts as to why they may be closing the doors at Drs. Foster & Smith.

https://aquanerd.com/2019/01/petco-is-closing-dr-fosters-smith.html

Already a multi-page discussion going over this very topic, along with the original news source of the article you quoted...https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dr-foster-and-smith-warehouse-and-website-closure.538427/

dulgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if petco will now invest more into LA’s aquaculture... possibly having more well trained staff maintaining fish and coral at local stores as well, all sourced from LA.... wishful thinking!

UNCFAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked on Dr Fosters & Smith web site in my favorites - and - Petco page appeared!!!

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't buy any equipment or livestock from petco or any of its subsidiaries. My local petco's aquatic section is absolute trash. They apparently can't be bothered to pull dead fish, beta's in yellow water halfway evaporated from the cup, corals under insufficient lighting, ignorant and insufficient staff (what you get when you pay less than $9 an hour). I honestly don't understand how such poor husbandry is allowed in a corporate chain as it reflects poorly on the brand everywhere.

I live in the midwest so the petco is the primary exposure to the hobby for about 50k locals and additional 100k+ in the surrounding communities.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the territory...near me the Petco keeps getting some of the best reef branch rock available, and they are best place to get great priced snails and crabs, and great priced microalgae when they have it.

Surfer311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting.... must be why I have received a whole lot of sale/discount marketing emails from them as of late.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think by now. That Petco HQ would send out district managers. To take care of their poor quality marine departments, on the local level. As for Petco website,they don't carry as many things as Dr foster/Smith.Wonder if they'll match Dr F/S shipping.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to ask is this writing as it is being stated? Are they closing or just merging into 1? Live Aquaria is Drs. Foster and Smith as well, they are one of the best online sources. If Petco is just Drs. Foster and Smith into Petco that will be a good thing, meaning Petco may now be able to order fish, and hire more experienced people.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, found out that Petco has owned Drs. Foster and Smith since 2014...they are just removing the branding now, and will be known as just Petco...For all of those that bad mouthed Petco for the past few years about their fish...Well if purchased online from many places, you were buying from Petco

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 blue faced triggers from Live Aquaria about 2 months ago and they are great fish. I thought Dr Foster's owned LiveAquaria?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back