Petco online order ( 5 anthias )

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order Saturday for 5 small lyretail anthias from Petco. $120 shipped to my door after some nice discounts. They are shipped directly from Quality Marine. The box arrived at 4pm which isn't great but the fish all survived.

This is my second order from Petco. My first order during the summer was DOA due to long transit and not enough ice packets. I want to give them a second chance now that weather in Florida is cooler.

All 5 anthias look healthy with great color out of the bag. A quick 10 mins dip in hydroplex and they are added to acclimation box. I don't QT my fish. Please don't turn this into QT thread =P. I understand the risk.

I will keep this thread updated with how they do. I know I am playing Russian roulette here and in a week or two I may be in tears because they are all dead or caused my other fish to all die too.

I have a 200g tank with 6 lyretail anthias already and one is turning into a male.

1000003109-01.jpeg

1000003110-01.jpeg

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from Petco and right into the display?
IMG_7403.gif
Ships direct from Quality Marine....same wholesaler that your LFS buys from =P. The fish never enters Petco store system. IMO, this is better than buying from some LFS since you never know what's in their tanks. This minimizes fish stress and exoosure to other systems.

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT either but I only buy QTd fish. I continuously run H2O2.

I’d love to hear your rationale and anything you do to mitigate protozoans, and how long it’s been working
I bought QT'd fish from many "sponsors" here and honestly not impressed. Fish still come in sick or dies within a week or two. I have over 25 fish in my 200g now and none of them went through copper QT. I have a nano tank that I usually put new fish into to observe but I already have a dwarf angel and a blue star leopard wrasse in there so didn't want to add 5 more fish to it.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad experience with velvet and wiped out fish I had for almost 10 years, so I QT everything now. I bought from local Petco directly many times, I just ask them to hold it in the bag and they always do. I only QT for observation and treat as necessary. I just can’t risk another wipe out.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that my first DOA order, Petco refunded me completely. Easy peasy. Quality Marine did have to approve the refund but I sent them the photos and they approved it right away. No hassle. No store credit. No haggling.
Yeah, Petco customer service is great. Especially my local one.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad experience with velvet and wiped out fish I had for almost 10 years, so I QT everything now. I bought from local Petco directly many times, I just ask them to hold it in the bag and they always do. I only QT for observation and treat as necessary. I just can’t risk another wipe out.
I did the same recently with the local Petco. Worked well but I did end up treating with copper after 3 of the 7 fish were flashing and one had visible spots.

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just put in an order for 5 medium yesterday and petco canceled it today :(
That sucks! It was heck of a deal. 25% plus additional 20% off plus free shipping. Quality Marine probably realize they not making much from the sale =P. Most stores tell a single lyretail for $40 - $50.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just put in an order for 5 medium yesterday and petco canceled it today :(
That sucks! It was heck of a deal. 25% plus additional 20% off plus free shipping. Quality Marine probably realize they not making much from the sale =P. Most stores tell a single lyretail for $40 - $50.
I know I'm sad

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 5 are out and swimming around in the acclimation box this morning =). I added two small PVC pipes for them to hide but they haven't used it yet.

Plan is to leave them in acclimation box for another 4 days and then release them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back