Petco Turbo snails not lasting long...

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I picked up 12 or so turbo snails about 2 months ago. I have recently pulled out 2 dead snails within the last 2 weeks. Now I see 2 more snails that are in the same spot for 2 days now. I am assuming I lost another two..

Is something going on??
dbbcc7d7ec00b70453146b7f072b595b.jpg

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Turbos sold in the hobby are collected from sub-tropical waters and don't fare well in our warm tanks. They also eat a lot and will starve in a Petco holding system if they are there long enough. I've never recommened or bought Turbos for my tanks for these reasons. There are much better snail options like Trochus and Astrea that are true tropical species and fare better.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? It sucks that the snails died, but within the first 6-8 months or so expect all kinds of changes. (death unfortunately being one of them) Don't let it discourage you though, it's all a matter of finding a "balance" so to say. What you've got going on, the evaporation rate, the calcium consumption etc. GL.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? It sucks that the snails died, but within the first 6-8 months or so expect all kinds of changes. (death unfortunately being one of them) Don't let it discourage you though, it's all a matter of finding a "balance" so to say. What you've got going on, the evaporation rate, the calcium consumption etc. GL.
Around 3 months old. No worries, just wondering what is going on. This is my 4th tank and I remember the snails lasting longer than this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back