PH Keeps dropping

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon C Vue Tank. It been up and running for over a year now. My PH has just started to drop rapidly everyday no matter what I do. Last night I did a water change. My PH was around 8 after it. 12 hours later my apex alarm is going off showing PH of 7.6 I dosed my marine buffer for PH and it brought it back up past 8 to like 8.2. My question is what could be dropping my PH so quickly all the sudden when I have no had this problem before. my Alk is 12.7, Ca 421 and Mg 1258 and tank temp sits at 76.8 degrees. The only thing I have recently changes was that I added a small refugium in on of the chambers with chaeto and a light. I dont think that could be the culprit. Any advice or idea to help me fix the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a problem I have seen a few times with electronic pH meters.
Often when the pH electrode ages it starts to show low values. I have 2 customers that crashed their tanks because they added chemicals in trying to get a good value on the meter.
Sometimes they can show wrong value if You place them close to a power cord. In some cases a ground probe can solve the problem.
So please check Your pH with a chemical test as soon as You see strange values and calibrate Your pH meter.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a problem I have seen a few times with electronic pH meters.
Often when the pH electrode ages it starts to show low values. I have 2 customers that crashed their tanks because they added chemicals in trying to get a good value on the meter.
Sometimes they can show wrong value if You place them close to a power cord. In some cases a ground probe can solve the problem.
So please check Your pH with a chemical test as soon as You see strange values and calibrate Your pH meter.
Yea. I have a Hannah PH tester that I am going to use to double check everything. Also my PH probe is only a month old. One of those annoying situations.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try recalibrating your ph probe or electronic meter. Also, I dont see your location, but if its now getting to be cold where you live and your house is now all closed up tight... that might be a factor. You can always try running an outside airline to your skimmer. Let us know if you figure out the cause and/or the solution. Good luck!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mess around trying to increase or decrease pH at all unless there’s a very good reason, especially adding chemicals as you can cause all sorts of issues

I would recalibrate and get verified chemical tests before even considering adding something.

I have a certain popular controller with a pH probe and trust it as a guide only, I wouldn’t trust it for anything were I would be making critical adjustments.

Several things can affect pH readings, if I go away from home for a week, the tank pH gets better, because I’m not breathing around it! So I’m officially bad for the health of my tank! Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back