pH Salifert kit or quality Testing Pen?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I know the Salifert pH kits aren't expensive but wouldn't it be easier just to go with a pH test pen? Not the cheapest or the most expensive...one with ATC though and that can be calibrated with the reagent (or I guess a lot of them come precalibrated) Opinions?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On smaller tanks you don't necessarily need the same level of accuracy or to test as frequently.
Oh ok I see, thanks! I know some people hardly ever test pH and I'm one of them but lately I switched to a new salt and it hasn't been mixing as well so I'm concerned about where my pH may be

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I know the Salifert pH kits aren't expensive but wouldn't it be easier just to go with a pH test pen? Not the cheapest or the most expensive...one with ATC though and that can be calibrated with the reagent (or I guess a lot of them come precalibrated) Opinions?
i found the ph test kits are hard to read but can give you a basic understanding of where your ph is. ph pen must be kept in solution and calibrated and i feel its more work than its worth.

i got a ph probe with a controller but even that can be wonky. its still the best way to chase 8.3 imo.

all that being said ph usually needs to be elevated when the lights go off. your best bet is to get as much fresh air in the room your tank is or the skimmer. you can also dose kalkwasser or turn on refugium/algae scrubber light on at night.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found the ph test kits are hard to read but can give you a basic understanding of where your ph is. ph pen must be kept in solution and calibrated and i feel its more work than its worth.

i got a ph probe with a controller but even that can be wonky. its still the best way to chase 8.3 imo.

all that being said ph usually needs to be elevated when the lights go off. your best bet is to get as much fresh air in the room your tank is or the skimmer. you can also dose kalkwasser or turn on refugium/algae scrubber light on at night.
Well after thinking about how frustrating it can be to me to match up those colors, I decided to get an inexpensive pen online (it does have ATC and is calibrated with the regeants) because there's a big sale right now that made it about the same price as the test kit. It comes with litmus paper too to double check ballpark accuracy and since it comes with regeants to calibrate it, I'd expect it to be close at least. I can always buy one of the test kits if the pen is too inaccurate

You can take a look at it here...it has a lot of reviews and I like that it comes with litmus paper because litmus paper doesn't lie

Back