pH Swing range?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just got my doser and have it set for a pretty good consistency.

Right now as I'm fighting display tank algae with my refugium algae scrubber I'm getting a pH swing of roughly 7.8 -8.3.

IF I'm going to have a pH swing like that, at least for the time being, is it better that I boost my dosing so the pH so the swing is more in the 8-8.5 range?

Thanks!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise pH without all that extra dosing, Recommend a CO2 scrubber, with air recycled through skimmer cup. Cheap, easy to setup, and very easy to maintain pH. With air recycling through skimmer cup, CO2 media lasts for months.

46F18FCF-61B4-4EAA-9111-A6A69E987079.jpeg

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Right now as I'm fighting display tank algae with my refugium algae scrubber I'm getting a pH swing of roughly 7.8 -8.3.

IF I'm going to have a pH swing like that, at least for the time being, is it better that I boost my dosing so the pH so the swing is more in the 8-8.5 range?

Thanks!

What are you dosing?

What is causing the swings?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would not base my dosing amount based off ph at all. I would dose based off alk. Depending on what you dose it may have more/less impact on ph so maybe what you dose matters, but things like co2 also impact ph. Dosing just based off ph could lead to very high alk levels

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks!
Run the fuge lights opposite to dt.
If co2 is high, run the skimmer line outside if possible, or use scrubber as someone suggested

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. We had the window open all day yesterday and my pH drop last night was just down to 8.0 instead of 7.8. So I'm going to try a c02 scrubber.

More gear! Yay! ;)

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many folks say "don't chase Ph #s" which can be misinterpreted. Ph is basically a gauge of tank stability, like the temp gauge on your car - if it's running hot it's telling you something is awry (leak, thermostat, etc..)
After your tank has been up 6mos or longer, track your Ph. You'll see a pattern from day to night. Then you can use that pattern as a guide and anything out of that pattern needs looking into. IE: Last week both of my tanks dropped to mid 7's which is abnormal for them, also both did EXACTLY the same pattern. Turns out high CO2 (we had guests) and skimmers needed cleaning.
Think of Ph readings as an early warning system but not a fire alarm.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%

Back