PH

• Thread starter reef-nut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Evertime I use RO water for a water change, it lowers my PH. What is the best, easiest, and cheapest way to keep my PH up? Also, does skimming effect your PH? I have been told both ways on running a skimmer. Most reefers run them 24/7, then some do not run them at all.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using??? Your salt should buffer your water back to 8.2 if it is not then you need to add buffer or change salts. What is the ph KH of your freshly mixed salt water???

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer can raise ph when it is running by taking out c02 I run mine 24/7

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
My LFS only caries instant ocean, reef crystals or oceantic.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how low are you talking about? and what range of fluctuations? IMO....monitoring pH is overrated unless you are running a calcium reactor.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the RO straight out of the unit? If so this could be your problem. Most tap water sources are low in dissolved oxygen, which results in low pH. simple aeration is ussualy enough to remedy this. I run my RO into a garbage can and aerate with a powerhead overnight before I use it, and I have never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Are you using the RO straight out of the unit? If so this could be your problem. Most tap water sources are low in dissolved oxygen, which results in low pH. simple aeration is ussualy enough to remedy this. I run my RO into a garbage can and aerate with a powerhead overnight before I use it, and I have never had a problem.

Hope this helps.
I do not have a RO unit. I buy it in 5 gal. bottles. I will try the garbage can idea with a power head, I am sure that will help. Thanks~~~

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I tested my tap and the PH is 8.4. I tested the RO I use and its 7.8

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt is it? If you are using oceanic they are known to have low ph/kh, high calcium.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I just bought a bucket of instant ocean. You know with my PH a little low and I had some shrooms melt and lost a few zoos, my ricordea never missed a beat. They are awesome. Is there something that could melt fuzzy shrooms, but not bother ricordea? I lost 2 awesome rocks of fuzzys, that melted and a few zoos, but the rics are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think rics are a little hardier than most mushrooms. It is odd that your RO is at 7.8 It is normally lower. If you are going to use IO then you will need to add buffer. If I was you I would get a better salt after you run out of what you have now. I use RO right out of my RO unit and I don't have a problem.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I just checked my ph and it is 8.0. I have some radioactive dragon and some eagle eye zoos that are growing like weeds. They have doubled in size in 3 months.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back