Phone app development

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app would replace or supplement the remote that comes with the V2+ lights and possibly store multiple light setting to push as you desire. Sounded like a real plus in my book.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light has been running the new app for the past month or so and it's going very well! We are working on building more boards and working out a couple minor things with the time zone, etc. After that it's on to Beta testing.

The cool thing is it's cloud based- I can control the light anywhere I have internet. We teamed up with a developer on the west coast who already has an app purpose built for aquarium control, so the app is already available and there is no hurdle on that end.

Some things I can address-

1- Yes, this will be available as an upgrade kit, much like the apex VDM kit we released last month.
2- Any Photon V2, or V2+ can be upgraded.
3- We will still be carrying the V2+ default controller, the plan is to offer multiple control methods, based on your personal preference. You can of course switch them at any time with a relatively simple hardware swap.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the option of the phone app and I’m glad that it’s being offered as an upgrade, not a default selection. One of the reasons why I’ve been researching this light so much is because it seems to be the best light in its price range without all the bells and whistles you pay for with bigger brands. I hope that reef breeders continues to offer a variety of products to appeal to hobbyists at different price ranges opposed to balling it all up into a G+ultramegaSolVersionExclusiveHDpro kind of light ;)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. Any idea on a release date and cost of the upgrade?

Thanks

Hard to pin down a release date. Hardware is solid. If that's anything like the apex boards, that part will be ready pretty soon.

What we can't control is how long Beta testing takes, and how long finishing up the software end will be.

Price is planned at $99.99, slightly more than the Apex integration kits.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the option of the phone app and I’m glad that it’s being offered as an upgrade, not a default selection. One of the reasons why I’ve been researching this light so much is because it seems to be the best light in its price range without all the bells and whistles you pay for with bigger brands. I hope that reef breeders continues to offer a variety of products to appeal to hobbyists at different price ranges opposed to balling it all up into a G+ultramegaSolVersionExclusiveHDpro kind of light ;)

From the customers I asked, it was split about 1/3 each with keeping the regular controller, adding it to their apex, and going with an app. The controllers we have already are capable, but definitely not as convenient as an app. We're trying our best to keep the price low while offering high end options for a bit extra, and keeping an upgrade path. At this point adding more LEDs doesn't make much sense, the layout and power is more than enough. So we are putting our RND into making more advanced control and mounting options.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the customers I asked, it was split about 1/3 each with keeping the regular controller, adding it to their apex, and going with an app. The controllers we have already are capable, but definitely not as convenient as an app. We're trying our best to keep the price low while offering high end options for a bit extra, and keeping an upgrade path. At this point adding more LEDs doesn't make much sense, the layout and power is more than enough. So we are putting our RND into making more advanced control and mounting options.

That’s a reasonable business decision. Personally, the main appeal of your lights to me is the price point that includes a LED with Cree bulbs, customization options, and mounting hardware included. To me, as long as the controller is functional (as far as the buttons working consistently and adjusting the light consistently) it’s just fine. I don’t make tons of changes to my light schedule once I get it set the way I like, so IMO it’s a lot of frill added to lights that jacks the cost up like crazy. I want the best light with the nicest fixture for the lowest price possible. The 80/20 fixtures look really nice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back