Phosphate advice

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling to keep my phosphates elevated to a range that I have read is acceptable. Some of my tester acros and recent additions seem to be doing fine. I haven’t lost any since adding on February 1st ( minus a rainbow monti, who isn’t dead, but looks like crap). Several acros have grown/ encrusted, or even gained some color. While the red planet I added has almost completely browned out. To be fair, it was pretty gross looking when I got it, but all the green has turned to brown-red. My phosphates have been reading between 0 and 0.02. So far I have measured 4 times in 4 weeks. 0, 0.01, 0.02, 0. My goal is to get to 0.03 and above.
Some things I have done is stopped changing the mesh filter sock and filter cup pads (downstream of sock) every three days and at the same time. I extended to alternating the change out every five days. I have also increased feeding pellet food ( TDO chroma boost) in addition to the the normal large chunk of LRS I feed throughout the “day”. I feed a chunk of LRS about the size of a 50 cent piece over the course of 6 hours. I only have four small fish in my Waterbox 180.5. This I assure is not by design... I have been having a ton of trouble procuring fish with the quarantining retailer I have selected. I should be fully stocked by now with about 14 fish, but alas I am not.
I am feeding a lot more than my four fish need to be fed, and have considered a couple of things. Should I start dosing something like acro power, or Red Sea AB+? Aminos in general?
So my ultimate questions to you you are, 1. Can low phosphate lead to browning of acropora? And 2. What is the best way I can elevate my phosphates to an acceptable level.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 0 phosphate has more impact on growth and bleaching rather than browning out. If my acros start browing out it usually cause my nitrates got out of whack. I got no science to back this up just my anecdotal "evidence".

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 0 phosphate has more impact on growth and bleaching rather than browning out. If my acros start browing out it usually cause my nitrates got out of whack. I got no science to back this up just my anecdotal "evidence".
My nitrate, according to Nyos is consistently a color right between 5 and 12 ( that’s the jump using that test kit), probably closer to 5, so I’d guess around 8.

Shannon_Hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems interesting. Would that be more or less beneficial than something like aminos?

Most will tell you that if you’re low on something, then dose that something. You can do many things that will increase phosphates, but will also increase other things. Could add aminos, feed reef roids, get more fish, feed more, etc.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using to test phosphates?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dose aminos to address what you believe is a phosphate issue. If the goal is to dose aminos in the hopes of improving color that may work. Aminos should not have a noticeable impact on phosphate though.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using to test phosphates?
I’m using the Hanna phosphate ULR
image.jpg

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get more fish
Agreed my man! Trust me I have been trying to get more fish smh, for months in fact..
The individual I have contracted to acquire and quarantine my fish (who just so happens to be a sponsor here) hasn’t exactly been fantastic getting me what I want on time.
If I had it my way, the way I had planned, I’d be fully stocked including and Achilles, which I may never get now due to the Hawaii ban.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur tank wont have 0 phosphates. U have fish? U put ur hands in ur tank? U feed ur fish? Ur good.
D

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur tank wont have 0 phosphates. U have fish? U put ur hands in ur tank? U feed ur fish? Ur good.
D
Just reporting what the Hanna reports. I really don’t put my hands in the tank if I can avoid it... I have hemostats for that. I do have a very light fish load that I have been trying to over feed as indicated in the OP

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re using the right kit. You’re basically held back by your lack of bioload/lack of fish. Unless you plan to dose phosphates, you’ll need to get more fish. I wouldn’t add more corals in until you can get your fish in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back