Phosphate and Green Algae control

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Months ago I had a problem with green algae. I used 12% hydrogen peroxide on the rocks, added phosguard, and performed weekly water changes. It worked the green algae died and went away. My water parameters are okay and the store where I take my water to be tested stated that the phosphate levels were okay. I now notice that green is coming back on the rocks which mean the green algae may be trying to come back. My first question is why is it coming back if my water parameters are wonderful and what can I do to stop it? I do not want to add peroxide to the water in the aquarium because I do not want to harm my corals. What shoulld I do?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Months ago I had a problem with green algae. I used 12% hydrogen peroxide on the rocks, added phosguard, and performed weekly water changes. It worked the green algae died and went away. My water parameters are okay and the store where I take my water to be tested stated that the phosphate levels were okay. I now notice that green is coming back on the rocks which mean the green algae may be trying to come back. My first question is why is it coming back if my water parameters are wonderful and what can I do to stop it? I do not want to add peroxide to the water in the aquarium because I do not want to harm my corals. What shoulld I do?
Think of it this way, your aquarium is like a farmers field. You prep it you have the rock just like farmers has a field but if you don’t have coral mass, well algae will grow there just like weeds will grow on perfect farmers field that has no crop.
Your perfect water parameters are perfect for corals and they are also perfect for algae.
If you don’t want to grow algae you need to outcompete them with corals.
Best bet is to get some fast growing corals that you can remove later to replace with the ones you want. For example Zoa’s are good, devil hand coral as well. Green star polyp are good but can become pests. There are others…

Hope that helps and good luck,

Also maybe stating your wonderful water parameters can help as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae does not need phosphate to get phosphorous. If you have conditions where corals can live, so can algae. You have to have rocks with a diverse bunch of things living on them already so that algae cannot take hold as well, and then you also need something to consume the algae.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are only weakly correlated with algae growth.

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your help:
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
dkh = 11 She was trying to calculate this for some reason
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Y0u can see the green on the rocks. I am going to do a water change and put in Chemipure. The thing that is baffling me this evening is that my beautiful pink anthias has disappeared. It was wonderful yesterday. I just fed the fish and I can not find it anywhere. I looked all round the tank and in the filters and nothing I hope that it is just hiding.

Attachments

• download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 43
  • download  2.jpeg
    download 2.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters are only weakly correlated with algae growth.
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Y0u can see the green on the rocks. I am going to do a water change and put in Chemipure. The thing that is baffling me this evening is that my beautiful pink anthias has disappeared. It was wonderful yesterday. I just fed the fish and I can not find it anywhere. I looked all round the tank and in the filters and nothing I hope that it is just hiding.

Attachments

• download  2.jpeg
    download 2.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 38
  • download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Attachments

• download  2.jpeg
    download 2.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 36
  • download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae does not need phosphate to get phosphorous. If you have conditions where corals can live, so can algae. You have to have rocks with a diverse bunch of things living on them already so that algae cannot take hold as well, and then you also need something to consume the algae.
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Attachments

• download  2.jpeg
    download 2.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 27
  • download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Pictures?

Attachments

• download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 25
  • download (70).jpeg
    download (70).jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 37

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters
Salinity = 1.024
Phospate = .25
calcium = 440ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate =10ppm
Nitrite=Oppm

Just put more CUC tank looks good.

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put more CUC tank looks good.
Have you ever used Purple up by Carib Sea?
Clean up crew is snails, emerald crab etc.

Be careful adding so many Chemicals! It will potentially kill your corals.
Thanks, I will get more cleanup crew tomorrow. I was thinking about that when I was cleaning my tank. Feeling down about my beautiful anthias. I hope my lunar wrasse did not chase it during the day.

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used Purple up by Carib Sea?

Thanks, I will get more cleanup crew tomorrow. I was thinking about that when I was cleaning my tank. Feeling down about my beautiful anthias. I hope my lunar wrasse did not chase it during the day.
How new are you to this hobby?

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new are you to this hobby?
I have been it it for a few years but not as experienced as others. For example I should have never brought the Lunar Wrasse. I have had success with my tanks before but I have gone thorough a lot of changes. I had a 32 biocube that was beautiful but transferred everything to a cheap 95 gallon tank and had a hard time. The tank I have now is wonderful, however when I took my eyes off of it due to I had to go out of town to see about my mother who was sick, algae took over. I finally go *** in control and I am trying to keep it in control and make the tank beautiful. I love corals and exotic fish.

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been it it for a few years but not as experienced as others. For example I should have never brought the Lunar Wrasse. I have had success with my tanks before but I have gone thorough a lot of changes. I had a 32 biocube that was beautiful but transferred everything to a cheap 95 gallon tank and had a hard time. The tank I have now is wonderful, however when I took my eyes off of it due to I had to go out of town to see about my mother who was sick, algae took over. I finally go *** in control and I am trying to keep it in control and make the tank beautiful. I love corals and exotic fish.
Really recommend some research into algae growth, clean up crews and the nutrient cycle. I think k looking into that stuff will help a lot in the understanding of what's going on in your tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back