Phosphate-E dosing help

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I just had a huge Dino outbreak and afterwards phosphates shot through the roof currently at 2.9. I was recommended to use phosphate-E but I do not have a dosing pump was planning on dosing slowly by hand. I have 120G tank, but after reading people’s experiences I saw it killing fish, etc. I’m not sure what to do what’s your experience with it?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will do your alkalinity so go slow. You can dose it into a filter sock or into the skimmer. Just use it slowly... no rush.

I've heard a ton of stories where it didn't harm anything. But, I lost all my snails over a couple weeks after using it... and still can't keep snails alive in the tank!

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2.9 ppm phosphate increase from a dino outbreak sounds unusual. I'd be sure it is a real value and not a test error.
I’m thinking it wasn’t from the dino outbreak. I confirmed it with Salifert, (Im using hanna) and also got water tested at LFS for confirmation. For now I’m going to hold off on the phosphate E and try to reduce it naturally first.

KrispyKashew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just used it last night. I did a fairly small dose as I only wanted to drop about 1.0ppm

I ended up diluting my dose in about 250ml of RO and slowly dripping it in to my sock section. I did see a sharp decrease in alk. I ended up dosing that back up the same way.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use small amounts of gfo and change it regularly (once every few days or so). Make sure to keep an eye on nitrates and them not falling out of range.

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using phostaphte e periodically for a little while now. I have a 150 tank. When i hit .1 i dose 3ml and it drops it to .04-.05. I drip into a filter sock.

The largest dose ive dose was 10 ml when they went unchecked for a bit. I have not had any negative effect.

I had read of issues with tangs. My purple tang has never shown signs of stress.

I would just got slow and drip into a sock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back