Phosphate Issue in new tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Piedy22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Piedy22

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Baldwinsville
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that completed its first cycle at the end of December. It is a 13 gal Evo tank. I currently have 2 clown fish, a trochus snail, a tiger conch, 2 blue legged hermits (2 other smaller hermits), and 2 harlequin shrimp who I feed one chocolate star at a time. When starting I used dry rock that I didn’t clean, and believe this is leaching phosphate into the tank. At one point I got the PPM to .15 with use of water changes and GFO. Now I’m back through the roof, Hanna ULR phosphate reader blinking .90, and I just completed an 80% water change and another bag of GFO. I tested 2 1/2 days after I did this (today).

Any ideas of what could be skyrocketing the phosphates? I am not over feeding, have the three chamber filtration system in the evo…. Could I have too much in the tank? Any help would be appreciated.
 
I have a tank that completed its first cycle at the end of December. It is a 13 gal Evo tank. I currently have 2 clown fish, a trochus snail, a tiger conch, 2 blue legged hermits (2 other smaller hermits), and 2 harlequin shrimp who I feed one chocolate star at a time. When starting I used dry rock that I didn’t clean, and believe this is leaching phosphate into the tank. At one point I got the PPM to .15 with use of water changes and GFO. Now I’m back through the roof, Hanna ULR phosphate reader blinking .90, and I just completed an 80% water change and another bag of GFO. I tested 2 1/2 days after I did this (today).

Any ideas of what could be skyrocketing the phosphates? I am not over feeding, have the three chamber filtration system in the evo…. Could I have too much in the tank? Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 28
When I started the hobby I thought I was not feeding too much. Now I feed I less than half of what I used to and the fish are fat and happy. New tanks often take time to stabilize so keep at it.
 
When I started the hobby I thought I was not feeding too much. Now I feed I less than half of what I used to and the fish are fat and happy. New tanks often take time to stabilize so keep at it.
I will try cranking down the food and continue to test, replenish GFO.

Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new