Phosphate reduction with seaklear lanthanum

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley
I have been dosing phosphate Rx to reduce my phosphate, without problems with my fishes (including yellow tang and wrasses). But I think my rocks keep releasing phosphate, I am almost done with the phosphateRx bottle. I would like to to use Seaklear phosphate remover next, but I can’t find a formula for that. Is there a safe way to use that? I found some post on diluting with RODI and slow dosing, but for now, I just want to use the dropper. Thanks

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0319.png

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there any different between the two bottles above, both said remove at least 9000ppb. Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there any different between the two bottles above, both said remove at least 9000ppb. Thanks
The “Commercial Strength” is the one that we all used back in the day. It’s super potent and dangerous though. Be extremely careful.

This information I have saved from during that time will be a valuable resource for dosing it safely.

****Seaklear commercial removes 9,000 ppb orthophosphates in a single dose in 10,000 gallons of water.****

My dose for 150/G system volume below:

I dosed 1mL Seaklear Commercial to 1 Liter of RODI water. Dosed around 8Hrs into 10 micron filter sock or my skimmer neck. Usually dosed around 1 drop per second. Running about 125mL/Hr. I used a 1 Liter (1,000mL) IV bag (gravity fed) with drip chamber and roller clamp. You can get into drop factors and all that (I’ll leave some information below), but just drip at 1 drop per second and you’ll be fine. I was trying not to drop more than .05-.08 in 24 hrs. .05 is safer. The key to this is going extremely slow and obviously mixing a very weak solution. Otherwise you will nuke your system and kill all the fish.

Here’s some information if you want to get precise:

IMG_3181.jpeg
IMG_3186.png

Test PO4 before you start, and then the next day (exactly 24 hrs later at same time) to get the most accurate understanding of what that dose did in the system. Always start lower with a lower dose. Maybe 0.5 mL to 1000mL first for a test run.

There was a guy with a 700 gallon system doing it about the same time I was. He was dosing 5mL to 1/Liter of RODI water. He said it was dropping his PO4 by .05ppm. He was dosing 1 drop per second. Took 7 hours to dose the 1/Liter solution. Dripped into 10 micron filter sock.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got tangs in your reef I think there’s been reports of them been killed. I have used L chloride and it does the job and I never had any problems with it @Randy Holmes-Farley will Point you in the right direction

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got tangs in your reef I think there’s been reports of them been killed. I have used L chloride and it does the job and I never had any problems with it @Randy Holmes-Farley will Point you in the right direction
It’s true. I personally never had any issues, but quite a few people did to make a disclaimer important. I personally stopped using lanthanum until we can learn more about why some people experience those lanthanum-caused fish deaths.

To me, it’s worth paying for the GFO for the piece of mind.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any specific Seaklear recipe or advice, but I have lanthanum dosing advice here:

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I hope I do it right, but looks like I need 5.2ml of Seaklear lanthanum to mix with 25ml of RODI to make a 30ml bottle of phosphate Rx.

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I hope I do it right, but looks like I need 5.2ml of Seaklear lanthanum to mix with 25ml of RODI to make a 30ml bottle of phosphate Rx.
That’s very, very strong. I’m dosing 4ml of Seaklear in 1500ml of RO/DI on my 300g tank at 150ml per day.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe that is accurate. Sounds way too potent. You better do a test before you dose that.
I agree, I mix 7ml of seaklear to 1 gallon and dose that at a continuous rate of 0.35 ml/min (504ml per day) in a 370g system. That lasts roughly a week and it knocks my phosphate down from 0.7 to 0.4.

I don't know why certain people kill off their entire fish population with this brand, perhaps they don't dilute it enough, but 7ml a week seems to work for me. @hdngo be extremely cautious with your diluting.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have make it clear, I mean 5.2ml plus 25ml of RODI will make an equivalent bottle of phosphate Rx
That’s the same thing you said previously.

That ratio is nowhere near the weak potency of Phosphate Rx.

5.2mL of commercial strength SeaKlear mixed in only 25mL of RODI water will nuke your system. Notice @Sisterlimonpot is mixing 7mL Seaklear to 1/G ( 3,785 mL’s) RODI for a 370/G volume. Think about how different that is. 5.2 mL to 25mL is too potent unless you have a massive system. It needs to be more diluted so that you can spread out the dose over the course of the day. At least 6-8 hrs depending on potency.

You need to forget your 5.2mL number/ratio above, and listen to the people that are currently dosing Seaklear. Make a different ratio that is compatible with your total water volume so that you don’t kill all your fish and coral.

Personally, I’d trust @Sisterlimonpot, because I know enough about her to know she will not lead you in the wrong direction.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very, very strong. I’m dosing 4ml of Seaklear in 1500ml of RO/DI on my 300g tank at 150ml per day.
Sounds about right. You guys are braver than me. I was only doing 1mL Seaklear commercial to 1000mL RODI (150/G volume). It was very effective. I used to have a video on YouTube where I was dripping into the neck of my skimmer at that ratio, and you could see all the PO4 precip bubbling over the skimmer neck, and at the surface of the water. Wish I still had the video, but it got deleted on accident. Seaklear is no joke! :)

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right. You guys are braver than me. I was only doing 1mL Seaklear commercial to 1000mL RODI (150/G volume). It was very effective. I used to have a video on YouTube where I was dripping into the neck of my skimmer at that ratio, and you could see all the PO4 precip bubbling over the skimmer neck, and at the surface of the water. Wish I still had the video, but it got deleted on accident. Seaklear is no joke! :)
I’ve dosed 1ml of straight Seaklear to my 75g and 300g tanks (do not recommend). No issues in the 75g with yellow tang and some wrasses so I did the same 1ml to the 300g. Came back later to see my labouti wrasse sitting on the sand struggling to breathe. He fully recovered but I won’t do that again!!! As you said, it’s no joke and I believe different fish just react differently. Best to be very careful!

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking out for me! The difference is I am not dosing all of it. I just create an equivalence bottle of phosphate Rx, then use that according to the calculator in my link above , so that bottle can last a month, depending on phosphate releasing from my rocks. As of now, with the phosphate Rx bottle that I bought, I only use few drops per day. Thanks again

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for example, this morning my phosphate is .11, so I need 10 drops. 5 drops now and 5 drops this afternoon.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this thread as a guide.

@vanpire is local and the one who turned me onto seaklear.

Another local buddy didn't have the same luck. I think he dosed way too fast and not into the appropriate micron sock. This was part of the carnage after just 12 hours.

Screenshot_20240314_201412_Message+.jpg

I think the warnings are worth noting, this can turn south really quickly.

for example, this morning my phosphate is .11, so I need 10 drops. 5 drops now and 5 drops this afternoon.

That mixture and recommended dosage seems reasonable. As long as you're confident in knowing that you're mixing seaklear to the same dilution as phosphate rx then there shouldn't be an issue.

In retrospect, I'm dosing the equivalent of 1ml of concentrated seaklear in my ~370g system and you can see the daily trend of my phosphate dripping this round.

Screenshot_20240524_193018_APEXFusion.jpg

And please, good or bad, will you update this thread with your experiences?

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this thread as a guide.

@vanpire is local and the one who turned me onto seaklear.

Another local buddy didn't have the same luck. I think he dosed way too fast and not into the appropriate micron sock. This was part of the carnage after just 12 hours.

Screenshot_20240314_201412_Message+.jpg

I think the warnings are worth noting, this can turn south really quickly.

That mixture and recommended dosage seems reasonable. As long as you're confident in knowing that you're mixing seaklear to the same dilution as phosphate rx then there shouldn't be an issue.

In retrospect, I'm dosing the equivalent of 1ml of concentrated seaklear in my ~370g system and you can see the daily trend of my phosphate dripping this round.

Screenshot_20240524_193018_APEXFusion.jpg

And please, good or bad, will you update this thread with your experiences?
Thank you very much. I actually have good results so far with the phosphate Rx that I bought. So if my formula is right , it’s just continuing of what I am doing. I like to create the phosphate Rx equivalent because of the readily available calculator by Larry. Thanks again!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back