Phosphate RX dosing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share this for anyone else experiencing a similar situation. After 2 years with my tank my phosphate levels were consistently high .4 to .5 range. Normal methods like GFO or phosguard were not bringing them down. It was just saturated in the rocks and sand. I started dosing Phosphate RX but only half the recommended dose amount and I split that into 2 separate doses during the day. My mixed reef tank was completely unaffected by this dosing. It took 2 to 3 months but now phosphate is staying .05 to .1 with just a bag of chemipure blue. I dosed directly into my skimmer cup neck. My nitrates have always stayed consistent at 10 to 15 with feeding frozen twice a day. I dose phytofest daily and other reef nutrition products for coral. I dose PNS probio once a week. I stay away from products like reef roids that spike phosphate numbers.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you were experiencing issues with corals at the higher levels or just trying to make sure it doesn't get too high? One of my tanks is running nitrate 18+ and phos 0.5 but things have never looked better so I'm rolling with it for now but keeping an eye on things.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you were experiencing issues with corals at the higher levels or just trying to make sure it doesn't get too high? One of my tanks is running nitrate 18+ and phos 0.5 but things have never looked better so I'm rolling with it for now but keeping an eye on things.
My corals looked fine and I considered letting it roll too but noticed a few small patches of GHA developed. Nothing troubling but I thought it was an indication that things might get worse so I figured I should get down to lower levels. Next time I may let it ride just to see what happens as I'm curious. Some tanks run great at high levels. I have a lot of rock which got saturated though and I thought as it unwinds out my GHA might start up.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking into Rx. Ty acans really don’t seem to enjoy GFO, they close up but when I don’t run it I get up to .4… might just leave it they are pretty fluffy looking.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking into Rx. Ty acans really don’t seem to enjoy GFO, they close up but when I don’t run it I get up to .4… might just leave it they are pretty fluffy looking.
If you don't see any negatives in the tank leave it be. If you try phosphate rx only do half dose and split that into 2 doses daily. During the day into a sock or skimmer. Not at night due to 02 levels.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see any negatives in the tank leave it be. If you try phosphate rx only do half dose and split that into 2 doses daily. During the day into a sock or skimmer. Not at night due to 02 levels.
Fluffy but they are not really growing at all, thinking my po4 just too high. Don’t have any algae either so kind of torn on the subject. Was gonna put a drop in my ato but now not so sure….hmm

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluffy but they are not really growing at all, thinking my po4 just too high. Don’t have any algae either so kind of torn on the subject. Was gonna put a drop in my ato but now not so sure….hmm
What are your nitrates? Acans can be finicky. I had to move mine a few times to find their sweet spot. Back corner of the tank now doing great. I also glued them to a small rock frag to get them off the sand.

Don't put phosphate rx into your ATO. It's just a few drops so into a sock or skimmer. My LFS just does it straight into his sump with no issues.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates? Acans can be finicky. I had to move mine a few times to find their sweet spot. Back corner of the tank now doing great. I also glued them to a small rock frag to get them off the sand.

Don't put phosphate rx into your ATO. It's just a few drops so into a sock or skimmer. My LFS just does it straight into his sump with no issues.
Nitrates almost rock solid at 15

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was researching on Phosphate Rx/Phosphate E (Lanthanum Chloride in general). When you say dose in skimmer what do you mean? Is it the chamber in the sump OR the neck of the skimmer? Please advise. Thank you.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was researching on Phosphate Rx/Phosphate E (Lanthanum Chloride in general). When you say dose in skimmer what do you mean? Is it the chamber in the sump OR the neck of the skimmer? Please advise. Thank you.
I was dosing into the neck of the skimmer cup but got lazy and just add drops to my skimmer sock now. I only dose a small amount less then half a normal dose.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I figured the filter sock part :)
You just have to monitor phosphate because RX walks it down well. Once whatever is leaching out of the rocks is used up then your phosphate will bottom out if you keep dosing. Once you get it where you want it try and control it naturally with proper feeding and coral food until it saturates your rocks again.

Mkkari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant just drops in my micron sock now but the skimmer neck works too. Just go small doses twice a day if you need to.
In your experience, does dosing in your skimmer neck cause the skimmer to overflow substantially?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, does dosing in your skimmer neck cause the skimmer to overflow substantially?
I'll also add over the last year, I have noted my tank seems to settle in the .2 to .4 phosphate range. I can dose it down more but see the tank as doing fine in this range so I do very minimal phosphate control now believing the tank has its own preferred equilibrium in that range. Algae is virtually non existent. Just enough to keep cleaners happy and it's an important part of the biome too for microfauna. I make sure my nitrates stay around 15 to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back