Phosphate spike, need help/advice.

BubbaBobba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, noticed today that stylophoras and palythoas were closed up today and I decided to test my water. My phospate has spiked from .28 to 1.81(!!!) since I last tested 6 days ago. I'm not sure what could have caused this since I havent changed my daily routine and need advice on how to lower it safely and quickly.

Parameters
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate: 21.2ppm
DKH: 10.7
Phospate: 1.81ppm(!!!)
Calcium: 420ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Magnesium: 1350ppm
pH:8.1
Nitrite: 0ppm

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1692652837592.png

Any powder coral foods you are using?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids will definitely raise phosphates. As to whether or not that’s your issue it’s hard for me to say as I don’t know how much your feeding , test kit accuracies etc. to bring them down I use phosphat-e from brightwell . Read direction carefully so as to not over dose and remember to bring them down slowly over days not all at once . Good luck :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Are you holding the button down to let it count the 2 mins I didn’t do this and learned to hold down button to let the checker count down

Messina06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna Phosphate checker only goes as high as 0.90. It blinks 0.90 if higher. GFO helps or Coral Snow but it is expensive

OP
OP
BubbaBobba

BubbaBobba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids will definitely raise phosphates. As to whether or not that’s your issue it’s hard for me to say as I don’t know how much your feeding , test kit accuracies etc. to bring them down I use phosphat-e from brightwell . Read direction carefully so as to not over dose and remember to bring them down slowly over days not all at once . Good luck :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Thank you! Going to give this a try, for now I will do a 20% water change until it arrives.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
haha i've made that mistake many times before but yeah I'm holding it until the timer appears
I’d definitely cut down on reef roids if not just stop using they definitely increase po4 a lot just use ab+ and maybe push it to ever other day and see what that does I stopped dosing both because of increase in my po4 and gha growth

OP
OP
BubbaBobba

BubbaBobba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely cut down on reef roids if not just stop using they definitely increase po4 a lot just use ab+ and maybe push it to ever other day and see what that does I stopped dosing both because of increase in my po4 and gha growth
huh, interestingly enough I just had a pretty bad hair algae outbreak last week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back