Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H

Hi ,
I use the H1736 Phosphorous ULR which measures ppb and use the H1736 reagent . Is this the one you use and what is your target phosphate level as per the chart posted .thanks Bill
Yes sir, that is the one. I used to run ULN, but as you can see what happened above there is not much room for error unless you’re doing something like Zeovit. The corals get well fed, and are able to tolerate the very low PO4. Now, I try to keep it 0.03 to 0.2 ppm. Above 0.2 and there’s more algae to deal with, but it depends on the tank and the system. I’m ok with it in that range and I try not to chase it too much. Honestly I like it above 0.05 and under 0.15, but if it drifts a little I’m okay.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great If some labs offee LC+ICP-MS to properly quantify organic phosphates.

I've not seen any general trend for P by ICP (total P) to be higher than what folks measure by kit (inorganic P), so my expectation is that it is pretty low.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen any general trend for P by ICP (total P) to be higher than what folks measure by kit (inorganic P), so my expectation is that it is pretty low.
Isn't icp-os prone to interference when it comes to p? Could they have kind of take the short cut and calibrate it to inorganic kits?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't icp-os prone to interference when it comes to p? Could they have kind of take the short cut and calibrate it to inorganic kits?

I do not know.

Christoph noted here that iodine and phosphorus are close at one spectral line, but I do not know if it causes significant interference in P, or whether other lines are used for P.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know.

Christoph noted here that iodine and phosphorus are close at one spectral line, but I do not know if it causes significant interference in P, or whether other lines are used for P.

Seems that there maybe many possible interfence if this write up is accurate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that there maybe many possible interfence if this write up is accurate.

The hobby companies are not using ICP-MS, but rather ICP-AES, so the interferences are completely different.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back