ICP test - high iodine?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually perform an ICP test every 3 months on my aquariums. This time around both, my 210 gal and 65 gal RSM showing high levels of IODINE. I know that it is difficult to test for Iodine and I do have a Salifert kit and it is actually showing "0" - so not sure what to make of this or if anyone has run into this... I am not even sure how I would go about trying to lower this and get accurate result. Do I trust the Iodine results from ICP?

Take a look at the results... 210 gal. showing a ".23" and my red sea is "1.28"!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.51.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 4.51.18 PM.png

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I did forget to mention that I am dosing tropic marin A and K elements. Not sure if that would cause any elevated levels of Iodine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very high. Never seen one that high.

perhaps fortunately, I do not have confidence in that company. I'd suggest asking them to double check because it is so unusual, and maybe consider either a kit test or an ICP by a different company.

Nothing except dosing could get it that high, IMO. The product you mention would not unless it was mismade or seriously overdosed.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the quick response! everything looks good in the tank too, so another reason why I think it must be inaccurate. I have never contacted ICP, but will see if they have a number or at least e-mail them.

Regards,
Attila

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, do you recommend another company to do water testing? I hate to continue using them if they don't calibrate equipment and results are off. The reason why I take the time and extra money is to fine tune my aquariums.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Attilak,

your phosphorus value is very high aswell.

Since ICP emission lines for phosphorus and iodine are very close together at 178 nm i think the iodine result will be an interference caused by the phosphorus concentration.

The analytical chemist must keep an eye on these spectral interferences when conducting ICP-OES.

Best regards,
Christoph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, do you recommend another company to do water testing? I hate to continue using them if they don't calibrate equipment and results are off. The reason why I take the time and extra money is to fine tune my aquariums.

I don't have any data to go on to pick from the others, just technical reasons to not have confidence in this one.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Attilak,

your phosphorus value is very high aswell.

Since ICP emission lines for phosphorus and iodine are very close together at 178 nm i think the iodine result will be an interference caused by the phosphorus concentration.

The analytical chemist must keep an eye on these spectral interferences when conducting ICP-OES.

Best regards,
Christoph

Thanks for the info, Christoph!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had 5 or 6 run by ATI and Triton now and I've never had an oddball result. They're more expensive but they've always been consistent.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back