• Nothing

Votes: 80 11.9%

• Total voters

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having issues with my nitrate and phos both are high, i have done water changes, dozed nopox and nitrates continue high, phos same thing im dozing now ti lower the phosphate which it persist to reming high even with one if the phosphate machine and pellets on my sump, corals die in a matter of days (some of them) is starting to become discouraging.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you boys with your big old sumps complaining about export... Here a real pickle!

I run a 15g nano anemone tank for 2 years now and my phosphates are running out of control.
Nitrates stay 5-8ppm but phosphate is at .54.

I don't have a skimmer and don't feel like a filterpad will remove the bound up phosphate from a lanthanum chloride treatment.

So I'm dosing some microbacter7 and placed a two brightwell PO4 xport cubes in my media basket. Also switched to bioactif salt from tropic marine to do some gentle carbon dosing. After 48 hours I'm down to .42 phosphate. So I'm on the right track I just don't wanna strip the water too far.

Anyone else have tricks for dealing with phosphates in a nano tank with less equipment? I would love a tiny algae scrubber or refugium options.
IMG_20200115_152555_MP.jpg
I must say I do not have any Nano tank experience exempt from quarantine tanks and with keeping anemones healthy in such a small space.
But what is considered to be the problem here? You have a N/P ratio of about 10/1 in weight which is about what is needed for normal growth and balanced removal of nutrients. I consider this to be a very healthy situation and normal in a system without a skimmer. What is considered to be wrong?
By selective removing phosphate an unbalance is created, what may be the benefice from doing that?
If it is the intention to lower the inorganic nutrient content, in my opinion, this can be managed by using a balanced low protein food ( +-21%) and harvesting algae.

Jmass015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have a turf and bubble algae problem. And the bubble algae is killing a chalice in the back. I let it be till I start losing corals. This is first step to doing something. I think most of that is pretty gentle
A small Santa Monica filtration algae turf scrubber will work

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back