Phosphates keep bottoming out, remove carbon?

dsouth1103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels keep dropping to 0.00 on my Hanna ULR phosphate tester. I’ve been dosing NeoPhos and it will go up to the desired level for a day or so but then it drops down to 0.00. Some of my acros have paled out and it’s getting really frustrating. The tank is a IM 30 gallon long AIO, i’ve been running a bag of ChemiPure blue nano, matrix media, sponges, and a filter sock on the other side (weekly water changes with Red Sea coral pro salt). Four small fish being fed daily with pellets and mysis shrimp interchangeably and i’ve been adding Red Sea AB+ every day. With all of these nutrients going in and all of them going out, i’m considering taking out my Chemipure carbon. I think it’s working too well and I don’t see any reason why I can’t maintain nutrients. Nitrates are doing the same thing but not to the same extent. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the carbon that is the issue. BUT, Chemipure blue is not just carbon. It's carbon, purigen, and a phosphate remover. Take that out and just use regular carbon or the original chemipure

Upvote 0

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, stop the water changes unless you plan in dosing phosphate everytime you change the water
Was going to be my next suggestion, if elements are being dosed to maintain and nutrients are way low water changes are just am unnecessary and damaging exercise.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dsouth1103

dsouth1103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the carbon that is the issue. BUT, Chemipure blue is not just carbon. It's carbon, purigen, and a phosphate remover. Take that out and just use regular carbon or the original chemipure
I do 5 gallon water changes every sunday and I skipped my water change last sunday. I tested again today and PO4 was 0.00 and NO3 was 5.3. Last time i tested was last sunday and phosphates were at 0.06. But im afraid im not replenishing my trace elements by skipping water changes.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 5 gallon water changes every sunday and I skipped my water change last sunday. I tested again today and PO4 was 0.00 and NO3 was 5.3. Last time i tested was last sunday and phosphates were at 0.06. But im afraid im not replenishing my trace elements by skipping water changes.

You can easily dose those back in. I'd either dose nitrate and phosphate continuously (as needed, as 5ppm nitrate is fine) or you can skip water changes and dose trace elements back in.

Who is to sat that your current water change schedule is replacing these elements at the rate they are being consumed ? It's really a guessing game at this point.

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^

If feeding more/reducing filtration doesn’t increase phosphates, you can simply dose it. Much easier to do the latter.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chemipure Blue does not have a phosphate binder effective in seawater, but chemipure elite does (it has GFO). :)

Folks should ignore the misleading Boyd claims, where they conveniently lump freshwater and saltwater together, making the claim not truly a lie, just misleading. No polymer is going to directly bind significant phosphate from seawater. There is too much competition from sulfate and chloride for positively charged sites on the polymers they use at the levels of phosphate we encounter in a reef tank.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure Blue does not have a phosphate binder effective in seawater, but chemipure elite does (it has GFO). :)

Folks should ignore the misleading Boyd claims, where they conveniently lump freshwater and saltwater together, making the claim not truly a lie, just misleading. No polymer is going to directly bind significant phosphate from seawater. There is too much competition from sulfate and chloride for positively charged sites on the polymers they use at the levels of phosphate we encounter in a reef tank.

Interesting. Thank ya.

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Will the added phosphate from reefroids show within a day on a test kit?
Yes for me it took a few hours to show up and that lasted for a full day. I recommend you test after 4-6 hours and then again at 24hr to see how much is being added and used

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back