Phosphates Through the roof

Wondered if you were the same animal as the critter on RCentral. Been a while since you were actively posting.

Science and Tech of reefs has exploded in the past few years, particularly during COVID but much has changed especially in experimental science tracking tank inputs/outputs.

Stuff that was written in stone a decade ago has since been discovered to actually have been written on Sandstone.

In terms of PO4, if you have water column levels of .03, if it is stable for a week, it will be at equilibrium with the level stored in the carbonate reservoirs such as rocks and substrate, which is why the simple statement that you can simply perform a water change to lower the level is more like to be false than true.

The answer to the OP's post is simply to use GFO, and over time, which may be a while, the levels will decline.

I think we all agree on that :)
I am the same - nothing has changed in the way water chemistry works ;)

You are correct about carbonate reservoirs and equilibrium. That is no being contested (and is part of the point being made). Each system will have (vastly) different levels of storage capacity.

My initial comments were to juxtapose/contextualize that very fact to "water changes do not remove phosphate" or however it was presented.

Let me also put something else out there. I did not leave the hobby, stop learning or get too old to understand "new things". I simply got tired of dealing with debates like this... so stopped posting and went on with the hobby and other things in life.
 
Respectfully or not, no worry. Disagreements are fine. I'm sure in the hell not going to stomp my size 12 shoe, rip out my overflow box, and change designs because we disagree.
Yeah - I can't offer much more than my opinion and experience on this one. I am likely the minority in this opinion and the science and documentation is very thin too. I tried to be very thorough and find a way to make it work, but no matter what I did, i saw bad effects so moved on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new