Phosphates Through the roof

geosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with phosphate issues the past 3 weeks and can’t bring them down I’ve tried vodka dosing but it’s just a bandaid been reading 0.18 - 0.33 I just did a water change yesterday hoping it would bring it down (30%. Been doing the past 3 weeks) but it didn’t, before it I did the water change It was at 0.18. My other parameters are pretty stable
Nitrate is hovering between 3.5 5.0 ppm

my sump has detritus’s but it’s not as bad as it was before and before I clean it my phosphates and nitrates were undetectable. I also added a whole bunch of rock but went through a couple months of being in a brute before I added to the dp

Any advice and how to bring it down I’ve lost 1/3 acros and my lps isn’t looking so good

60E66170-FE47-4EC8-AC5A-09A9BF7774D7.jpeg image.jpg FD3E1D33-0C8E-4DC1-8655-BC28809456ED.png

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vodka or carbon dosing, while effective at reducing nitrates, does very little to reduce phosphates. For that you'll want to run granulated ferric oxide (GFO).

OP
OP
geosReef

geosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka or carbon dosing, while effective at reducing nitrates, does very little to reduce phosphates. For that you'll want to run granulated ferric oxide (GFO).
Do u think maybe the kalk has something to do with it?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do u think maybe the kalk has something to do with it?
In my experience, kalk has no effect on my phosphates. That being said, batch contamination, while highly unlikely, could potentially introduce a source. Again, that is likely not the case.

We can see if @Randy Holmes-Farley has any input on this. He is the true expert on stuff like that here.

Last edited:

blatherdrift

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 isn’t going to drop from just water changes. It’s rather sticky and hard to reduce that way.

to drop it fast you can use a media reactor with phosguard then use gfo to keep it there.

it’s just that it’s going to slowly release from your rocks back into water to normalize over the next few weeks so expect it to be a long slow process.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do little or nothing to lower phosphates. You current level is only slightly elevated and easily lowered with a variety of methods. You nitrates are on the low side which has more impact on your corals then your current phosphates number

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a busy looking tank; lots going on. Best to correct the elevated phosphate issue at the source.

What are you feeding, how much and how often? Frozen and flake foods can be a nitrate source. If you are feeding heavy, it could contribute to your problem.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apart from GFO, Lantanum works well, but you really need to know how to use it, otherwise you can nuke your tank.
Lanthanum Chloride (IMHO) should never be used with fish (esp Zebrasoma Tangs). There is no safe way to use it. Free lanthanum in the system is pretty much inevitable and it appears to collect around the gills, where it reacts and harms the fish. The lower the phosphates in the system, the more the chance of free LaCl...

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 isn’t going to drop from just water changes. It’s rather sticky and hard to reduce that way.

to drop it fast you can use a media reactor with phosguard then use gfo to keep it there.

it’s just that it’s going to slowly release from your rocks back into water to normalize over the next few weeks so expect it to be a long slow process.
It is not "sticky" it drops at the same ratio as anything else in solution with a water change.

Your second point is correct, depending on PH and other factors, absorbed phosphates may want to find equillibrium with the system water, driving levels back up. But that does not mean that water changes did not take it out.

Using any type of media or reactor causes the same thing. Export is export ;)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do little or nothing to lower phosphates. You current level is only slightly elevated and easily lowered with a variety of methods. You nitrates are on the low side which has more impact on your corals then your current phosphates number
See above - anything in solution is lowered by dilution. In fact, you can easily calculate by how much given the levels in the system and the replacement water.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not "sticky" it drops at the same ratio as anything else in solution with a water change.

Your second point is correct, depending on PH and other factors, absorbed phosphates may want to find equillibrium with the system water, driving levels back up. But that does not mean that water changes did not take it out.

Using any type of media or reactor causes the same thing. Export is export ;)
The solution to pollution is dilution!

WavyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, GFO is the way to go along with Poly Filter. Just be careful and gradually reduce! It is recommended to reduce 0.5ppm in a 24 hr period.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above - anything in solution is lowered by dilution. In fact, you can easily calculate by how much given the levels in the system and the replacement water.
the ratio of phosphates in the water is lower . They bind to the rockscape and sand. Water changes do very little to lower phosphates. This is common knowledge.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 5.0%
Back