Phosphates

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks,
So i consistently have phosphates anywhere from .03 to .12, i reduced them when they peak.

My question is what in your tank can cause phosphates to always push to go higher even after reducing them. I do weekly water changes of 10%

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is always food related. I only feed frozen so if I feed more I get more P04 if I feed less then I have less P04. But I have to find the in between also because I run a skimmer and a refugium and I do not want to bottom nutrients out as well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have just helped me, i was feeding my fish a couple of weeks ago ever other day, now i feed them ever day to keep my nitrates up...

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have just helped me, i was feeding my fish a couple of weeks ago ever other day, now i feed them ever day to keep my nitrates up...
Yes right now I feed everyday but in lighter moderation. I want them to eat just cant over feed. I do also feed all the tangs nori on a clip and I believe this will add to P04. Well when the fish poo P04 is on the way up!

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks,
So i consistently have phosphates anywhere from .03 to .12, i reduced them when they peak.

My question is what in your tank can cause phosphates to always push to go higher even after reducing them. I do weekly water changes of 10%
Those Phosphate levels are ok. Mine got up to .26 at one point. It was mostly from Polyp Labs Polyb Booster. Just put in a bit of Phosguard and it was back to .05 next day. Detritus stuck in a certain area can also raise Phosphates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks,

Foods are a big, , and usually the primary source of, phosphate. Water changes aren’t very effective since much is bound to rock and sand.

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods are a big, , and usually the primary source of, phosphate. Water changes aren’t very effective since much is bound to rock and sand.
Thanks Randy, I do think that’s what was causing it, i since have gone to light feeding to see if that helps, problem ishave is low nitrates (3) so I may have to dose them down the road

tfford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for this info.

Just found this post as I had the same question. Was guessing it was food because for the most part my levels are normally pretty decent of late (0.02 - 0.05) but the other day fed some reef roids to the coral and when I checked later that day they were up to 0.09. I'm running "some" GFO but Phosphate-e seems to do the best job of getting them down quick.

I feed frozen only (so far) but I actually wash/rinse the food in fresh saltwater and strain it get try and get rid of as much of the yuck as possible. I do a bunch of cubes at once and after straining it, I put it between saran wrap and put it back in the freezer. Makes it easy to simply break off what I need for feeding, thaw in some saltwater and then let em have it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this info.

Just found this post as I had the same question. Was guessing it was food because for the most part my levels are normally pretty decent of late (0.02 - 0.05) but the other day fed some reef roids to the coral and when I checked later that day they were up to 0.09. I'm running "some" GFO but Phosphate-e seems to do the best job of getting them down quick.

I feed frozen only (so far) but I actually wash/rinse the food in fresh saltwater and strain it get try and get rid of as much of the yuck as possible. I do a bunch of cubes at once and after straining it, I put it between saran wrap and put it back in the freezer. Makes it easy to simply break off what I need for feeding, thaw in some saltwater and then let em have it.

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back