Photographers: Need Equipment Suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrbee2828
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mrbee2828

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
414
Reaction score
63
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently shooting with a Nikon d40. I have several lens such as a 35mm prime etc. The camera is a DX format. I'm looking to upgrade and get a nice macro lens. I currently shoot macro with extension tubes and while I get some amazing shots, all of it is manual with the lens/body separation. I'm considering buying a used d5100 which is also DX, so that I can also shoot some HD video.

In addition, I have had my eye on the Nikkor 60mm lens. While expensive, it's not as high as the 105mm or some of the other brands like Sigma etc. in the same category. My dilemma is the lens vs format. The 60mm says FX/35mm and that the images will be "cropped" on DX cameras. I looked into the 85mm DX Nikkor lens but it doesn't have that great of a review. I don't want to lose the DX equipment I have but I also don't want to invest $1000 on equipment that isn't going to take nice shots. I don't know what to get in this light. Does anyone here shoot professionally or is anyone a lens nerd? I need some advice. Will the cropping matter?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new