Photosynthetic gorgonian?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest pictures but I'm trying to confirm if this is a photosynthetic gorgonian. Looks similar to the ones I already have but the LFS couldn't confirm.

Purchased for a sea horse tank I'm I'm the process of scaping .
20211209_133336.jpg
20211209_133402.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a similar post recently and someone replied very tersely kinda like; "You should never buy something living what you don't know what it is, its habits, its food, light, bedtime and pronoun requirements..."

If it needs live food it can be good company with the seahorses? Hope it works out. It is beautiful and I would have taken a stab rather than just leaving it at the LFS to languish. GL, and know animosity hidden or veiled or inferred in my response. Just wanted to give this thread a bump and start the covo and hopefully that gorg lives many long years with your ponies!

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally expect that. The full story is I already keep nps coral and went into this with hope it's photosynthetic (based on all the reading I did) but with the back up plan to move it to the nps system if not.

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm on the subject. Why don't collectors and wholesalers label their collections better so that LFS know what they're selling. All the self righteous pressure on us to ensure we do the right thing.

Any gorg ID?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm on the subject. Why don't collectors and wholesalers label their collections better so that LFS know what they're selling. All the self righteous pressure on us to ensure we do the right thing.

Any gorg ID?
Because a lot of collectors don’t know exactly what they’re collecting, some commonly collected species are easy to identify but there are a lot that are more difficult to identify. Importers are supposed to ID the exact species of the corals they import, but it’s not like customs is going to tell the difference between different species of gorgonians/corals, if we have a hard time IDing them, how well do you think they’d do? That said, I’m pretty sure that gorg is photosynthetic.

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if we have a hard time IDing them, how well do you think they’d do?
Being professional companies (at least here in Aus) I'd hope they were better at IDing them than hobbiests, just like I'm better at IDing plants as a professional botanist than someone who presses flowers for fun.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Usually" the brown ones are photosynthetic. The colorful ones are always not photosynthetic

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try image search for "purple gorgonian" and compare to yours. Shape, branching, thickness of the branches, polyp distribution, intensity of color. Then do the same for possible species name, if more matches, good, at least you have some idea about what it could be. Could be Eunicea sp.

In my LFS all similar purple gorgonins were sols as photosynthetic. I had one in the past, no special care or feeding, only grows too tall.

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Took a bit of searching beyond the google search 1st page so thought I'd post direct links. Everything I read suggests brown polyps are more likely to contain zooxanthellae. I've also noticed that polyps open with light and close when dark, possibly another indicator towards being photosynthetic.

closest identification I found was one that looked almost identical to mine: https://www.tidalgardens.com/stock-purple-plume-sea-fan.html

also a more technical field key.
Field Review Paper

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mostly correct rule of thumb is polyp color. If the polyps are tan/brown then it is likely photosynthetic, if they are bright white or deeply colored then likely not photosynthetic.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Usually" the brown ones are photosynthetic. The colorful ones are always not photosynthetic
Not always true. There are a few species of photosynthetic red and yellow gorgonians here in florida. They are rare but I see them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly which is why I said "usually" :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back