Photosynthetic Gorgonians in Breeding Tank

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am trying to breed red mandarins (successfully bred green mandarins, now trying these guys out), and I have them in a macroalgae tank. I do plan to put some photosynthetic gorgonians, but I realize that might eat my fry. I am adding the Golden Plume gorgonian and Purple Cactus gorgonian, just stating in case it matters. Is this a big concern, or should I not be worried? I do not mind a few losses though.

Last edited:

GreshamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll want to collect the eggs and rear them in another tanks anyways, so no worries.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually leave everything there. I did the same with my green mandarins and it was successful. The parents just kept doing their business and a lot of macroalgae for the babies to hide. I've done this twice until I decided to try red mandarins. I also want to add photosynthetic gorgonians, but I am concerned that they might eat the fry. However, with help, I decided it would be fine. I know someone who is doing the same thing but with seahorses. I'm sure it would be fine for my fry I think. Who knows, I can always pull them out if I see them as a problem.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the photosynthetic gorgs will love it. And they will eat a lot of the tiny pods that I presume the fish fry are living on.

093993d5ccab0791b1bea4292d504235.jpg

This is a photosynthetic gorg that managed to capture and ingest fish flake. I still don't think the fry themselves would get eaten, they might get caught though, depends on how developed they are at hatch time. I think the fry food would be at greater risk than the fry themselves

Btw, got a link to the green mandarin breeding? That's a very cool result.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the pods being threatened as I have cultures in case things go wrong. I decided I would try them. I can always pull them out if I see them problematic.
Sorry I didn't document any of the green mandarin breeding. It started unexpectedly, high mortality rate due to me being unprepared, but I never had the intention of breeding them. I tried the second time and it was successful. But I decided that I want to try red mandarins, so I gave it away to a friend whos just making money off of them. Shoulda kept them. The reds are still small, so I don't expect anything, but I am always ready in case it happens. This time I will blog everything and put them on this site.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back