Phyto culture culture questions

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't culture any phtyto yet but I'm interested in giving it a go in the future and would like to be learn more about it and be prepared. So here goes my questions.

Question 1.
I read that sanitizing the container is important. There are a number of methods I've read or thought of to do this. I was hoping to hear some opinions on whether or not if any of the methods are better than another. It would also be great to know any new methods not listed below.

1. Bleach and water mix (for plastic bottle or glass)
2. Microwave (only for microwave safe glass)
3. UV light sterilizer (a method I thought of, have the container sit under the UV lamp, only for glass) Something like this.
Foldable-Mini-Home-Sanitizer-Hand-Disinfection-Room-Handheld-Sterilizer-Wand-LED-UVC-Light-Lam...jpg

Question 2.
Is there anything else that I should be aware of which might cause the culture to crash? Where I live, Phyto start culture is very difficult to get a hold of so I want it to be safer.

Question 3.
Could I use sun light by the window?

Thanks!

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a product called Star San for sanitizing my vessel. Also sanitize the air line and rigid tube.
sunlight could work. Although a longer photo period is a good thing. I run the light on my culture for 16 hrs.
F479DD9F-C870-40F2-B5DF-744CA05A0727.jpeg

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a product called Star San for sanitizing my vessel. Also sanitize the air line and rigid tube.
sunlight could work. Although a longer photo period is a good thing. I run the light on my culture for 16 hrs.
Thanks Aqua man!
I looked up Star San but sadly it's crazy expensive here for some reason.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome
Try looking at your local Home brew store for Star San. They should have a smaller
Bottle. Bleach should work, never used it though.
@Dilan Patel I think he uses rubbing alcohol for sanitizer.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do use rubbing alcohol really cheap and only need a little. Basically ill rinse the bottle out with hot tap water and use a bottle brush. I then will rinse it a few times and then put some alcohol inside and shake it around. If the bottle is really dirty on the bottom I will let it sit overnight and rinse and scrub the next day. After that it should be ready to use :)

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the last time I ran a culture it was in 2 liter plastic bottles that I would run for a week, split, refill in the same bottles and keep going. Lasted for months until I shut it down. It was four 2 liter bottles each of two types, never had a whole culture crash. This time around upgraded to gallon glass carboys, and swapping into new sanitized ones each time, but never had trouble without sanitizing either.

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the last time I ran a culture it was in 2 liter plastic bottles that I would run for a week, split, refill in the same bottles and keep going. Lasted for months until I shut it down. It was four 2 liter bottles each of two types, never had a whole culture crash. This time around upgraded to gallon glass carboys, and swapping into new sanitized ones each time, but never had trouble without sanitizing either.

I agree, I keep smaller containers myself, but I usually just rince thoroughly and use a culture starter. To avoid crashes that could cause a loss of the culture, I take half the culture every 2 days and keep in fridge. Now I have way to much but not afraid of having to go buy a new bottle to the LFS during Christmas! ;)

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sanitation!! Interesting.

Usually after 7 days my culture starts having some chunks floating around. The bottom of container is also crusted up with something white that needs a good scrub to get it off.

Sanitizing I guess helps keep some of the unwanted “stuff” out of the tank.

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sanitation!! Interesting.

Usually after 7 days my culture starts having some chunks floating around. The bottom of container is also crusted up with something white that needs a good scrub to get it off.

Sanitizing I guess helps keep some of the unwanted “stuff” out of the tank.

Lol, now you scare me. Will look more into it.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Star san or other sanitizers for brewing are way too expensive where I live so I don't think it'd be viable.
Ethanol alcohol also sounds like a good idea.
No sanitization sounds the best but I'd be too scared to try it out.
Any thoughts on the UV light? Do you think it would work if I use glass bottles?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back