Phyto Culture Sterilization

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Poseidon Reef phyto and pod culture kit. Just did my 1st weeks harvest. Everything went pretty well aside from some procedural stuff (need to buy specific bowls for this). Had a quick question. I put the phyto that I'm keeping for the tank in a large Mason jar. I sterilized it with alcohol before filling it. My question is: Is sterilizing this container necessary if it's being stored in the fridge anyways? Second question: do I need to sterilize the measuring cup that I'm using to measure out the daily dose before I pour it into the tank?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about sterilizing either one unless you are planning on using it to start a new culture. You definitely don't need to sterilize the measuring cup.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking this. I have been winging it for a while. Using a dishwasher to clean mason jars. Making phyto in my living room. Is there some hidden threat ? I do start with fresh LFS phyto every month or so.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sterilize things used to grow. I would not sterilize the measuring cup I am using to put it into the tank. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sterilize things used to grow. I would not sterilize the measuring cup I am using to put it into the tank. Hope that helps!
Ya I guess the measuring cup makes sense. I mean it's going into a bacteria filled tank anyways right? But what about the container for storing phyto in the fridge?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sterilize with vinegar before starting a new culture, I don't sterilize the measuring cup (I don't even measure, I just pour lol)

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I guess the measuring cup makes sense. I mean it's going into a bacteria filled tank anyways right? But what about the container for storing phyto in the fridge?
Yeah exactly.

Are you growing the phyto or just storing what was purchased? If just storing it I would just keep it in the container it came in. If you are growing it, you should sterilize the tank before growing it. But if you are growing it, why store it in the fridge?

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah exactly.

Are you growing the phyto or just storing what was purchased? If just storing it I would just keep it in the container it came in. If you are growing it, you should sterilize the tank before growing it. But if you are growing it, why store it in the fridge?
I'm growing it but I have extra after what is used to restart the culture and feed my pod culture. So what's left is used for the tank and stored in the fridge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back